Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new and starting off with a question. I need to take off the dash, or find the easiest way to take out the Speedometer. It doesn't work and I need to take it out to get it recalibrated and what not. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
259 Posts
Before I tear into the dash, I would check the speedo cable connection at the trans and the guage. If the speedo works but reads wrong, You may need to match up the proper speedo gear in the trans to the differential gearset in your car. Even changing the wheel and tire size will have an effect.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Remove the lens from the front. Release the clip that holds the speedo cable on the back. There are a few screws you can remove on the back and it will pop out the front. No need to pull the whole carrier.

-Mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just doesn't work at all. The needle just jumps and settles back at zero. And the odometer just creeps something like .2 for every mile or so I go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the lens removed. Which screws in back? The two nuts on bolts back there? Should those be taken off to have it pull forward or what?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The cable itself could be broken or damaged. Mine caused my speedo to bounce around and click below 30 mph. Replaced the cable (which looked like it got melted on the header) and works smooth as silk now. The parts counter guy (and former GM service tech) said that the cables need to be regreased every year.

I also replaced the tranny speedo gear to get it to read the correct speed - fyi for once you get to that point - do a search and you will find lots of info about how to figure out how many teeth gear you will need for your combo of tire height and rear gear ratio.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would check that speed-o cable as stated above, it sounds like it could be broken inside the casing. The broken ends rub a little and cause the gauge to bounce around. You might also want to check the plastic gear at the trans to be sure it is not stripped where the cable fits into it or the teeth themselves. These two thing I would check first.
Guy

·
Registered
463 Posts
There are two or three nuts back there. Remove them and the speedo will come straight out the front of the carrier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts