Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there,
My '69 has a 350 with an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb with electric choke.
I recently changed my fuel line that runs from the pump to the carb.
There is a metal fuel line that comes from the pump to the top of the manifold and from there it was 3/8" rubber hose to the carb.
There is a fuel filter installed about 8" of hose before the carb.
The new hose I have purchased doesn't seem to bend as well as the old one and I'm getting a bit of a flat spot trying to get it to the same bends as the old one.
My question is - is the fuel filter really necessary? The one that's on there now has been there for a few years so it's probably not doing much anyway. I was thinking if I eliminated it it would make it easier to install a custom bent stainless steel fuel line.
But if I really do need one I will keep it in.
Does it really matter if the fuel filter is before or after the pump?

Thank you kindly.
Mark

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
How clean is your tank? I would error on the side of cautious and keep a filter in place. You should be able to get the correct fuel line at any length at auto parts stores in your area, one that would flatten out at a typical bend. Or reuse the one that was working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairly new stainless steel tank.
Ok. Thanks. I will keep the filter and try and work the proper bends into the layout.
Appreciated.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well even a new tank can get debris from the road, pump etc so I would keep the filter.
Maybe post a pic of your situation for better advice?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yes, you need a fuel filter.

Also, don't run rubber hose on the 'pressure' side of the pump (between the pump and carb). A small engine fire could turn into a total disaster,..plus it looks novice.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Also, don't run rubber hose on the 'pressure' side of the pump (between the pump and carb). A small engine fire could turn into a total disaster,..plus it looks novice.
X 100 I have seen it multiple times. DO NOT USE RUBBER HOSE. Flame on!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have also seen the pressure gauge from the regulator come apart and start a fire!
if you NEED to use rubber line get the stainless steel braided covered
for safety sake, I use a filter before and after the fuel pump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts