Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I have a stupid question on a problem that is really pissing me off.

My 1969 Camaro has a problem with either the ignition switch or the key switch where if the key is not in just the right off position it drains the battery which I find out when I want to take the car for a drive or come back after it is parked at the restaurant for a couple hours. :(

I replaced the key switch a year ago, I have never replace the ignition switch on the column.

Where are the voltage contacts controlled, is it in the key switch or is it in the ignition switch on the column? Or does the ignition switch just act as a termminal block for the key switch?

Any help or sound advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
The switch mounted on the column is the electrical part of the system. The key cylinder operates the column mounted switch via a metal linkage rod. It might be a simple matter of adjustment - even though the key comes out of the lock, the column switch itself might still be making contact in the ACC (most likely) or ON position. The switch has slotted mounting holes where it attaches to the column and is easy to adjust after you lower the column for access.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BPOS,

You nailed it!
Lowered the column and 30 mins with a Fluke amp/volt meter, loosened the two 5/16 screws, then while adjusting the ignition switch placement checked the amp draw on the battery until everything worked correctly. Now the key works just as it should. Thank you very much for all your help. I see happier days ahead. :)

Thanks again,

Joe Rippel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts