Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run into a problem... well two. The first is what size srew or bolt that holds down the ignition switch? I have tried 1/4 and 5/16 both don't work. Next is that I found someone took out the ignition switch. I went to napa and bought a new one. The question I have is that rod coming from the key where you start the car is pointing straight up. The switch that I have the rod goes into the switch from the side.. Going from driver to pass side. Do I just bend the rod or do I have the wrong switch?. Also what is the best way to install the switch. Do I leave the key in the lock position and move my switch to match it?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The actuator rod does point up, and you probably have the correct switch and are just trying to put it on wrong. I will dig up some pictures to post.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There are two different ignition switches. One type for tilt columns the other is for the standard (non-adjustable) columns.

You didn't mention which type that you have.

You can go to www.corvettefaq.com
Click on Jim Shea Steering Articles
Click on A & F-Car Steering
Scroll down to either the 1969-76 Standard Column or the 1969-76 Tilt Column sections
Download Paper #3 and Pic #3 (The paper and pic have instructions on installing and adjusting the ignition switch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks great information but still not a good picture of where the rod goes into the switch. I looked at the bottom of the switch but cannot see any where the rod can go??????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts