Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 camaro LS1 install?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Rodder 
#1 ·
getting ready to start my 1969 camaro project, I have a chance to get a 98 camaro LS1 motor. I understand there a quite a few mods that need to be done, my question is to anybody who has done this project or who is doing this project, is it worth it? Any input is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
What do you want to do with the car? If you want something that's a blast to drive, lighter, gets much better gas mileage, and starts/runs perfect in any weather, then it's definately worth it. I love mine.

Here's a ton of info on 1st gen Fbody LSX swaps: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472609
(and tons more people in the same forum doing swaps into everything you can imagine)

#4 ·
It's really not a hard swap. There half a dozen different choices for mounts, oil pans (btw, Moroso and GMCOPO just came out with nice pans for it), the wiring is pretty easy, couple of different choices for crossmembers and headers, bunch of different choices for the fuel pump/tank... there worst part of the whole thing is "as long as the engine is out, I really ought to ______". That blank gets longer and longer until you finally get it back on the road :).

#5 ·
How about the K frame, did you cut yours or did you make it fit with the oil pan? So true, the _____________________ usually means $$$$$$. Thanks for you info,if you don't mind, is there any chance I could talk to you on the phone, seeing that I can talk better than I can type ? Thanks

#6 ·
I had to change the oil pan to clear the stock steering. I didn't do any frame modifications--the only time you have to cut the frame on a 1st gen LSX swap is if you are running the BRP engine mount adapter plates trying to run the AC compressor in the stock LS1 location. The BRP plates put the engine up and way forward, the S&P plates put the engine back a little, the Hooker plates put the engine way back (heads 1/4" - 1/2" off the firewall), and the ATS plates put the engine a little back (same as S&P) but also down about 3/4". I'm using the ATS plates.

I'll send you my number in a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.