Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Camaro SS that has BF Goodrich Radial T/A, 225/60R15, on a 15"x7" Cragar SS rim. On occasion, I experience some tire rub on the front passenger side tire when hitting a large bump, a dip in the road, or I have a larger passenger in the car. I replaced the front springs, as the right one was weak and that helped out a great deal, but still rubs every now and then. I was going to replace the front shocks with a much stronger spring shock, but am having trouble finding a shock that will fit through the hole in the lower control arm. No rub at all on the driver side. Frame on car is pretty straight and the car sits level. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have been looking at something similar, but didn't really want to spend that kind of dough, but looks like I might have to.

·
Super Moderator
32,472 Posts
Using a 7 inch wheel is the risk involved. How much is the rub?
Compare the distance from the drvr side to the top of the tire with the pass side, same spot.
If you add a 1/8 inch shim to each upper control arm bolt, would this pull in the top?
Is the front metal towards the drvr side a touch?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a very slight rub only when I drive over a dip in the road. There is about a 1/2" difference between the gap on the drivers side and the passenger side. It isn't damaging the tire at all, just annoying every now and then.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I had the EXACT same symptoms with the same size rim on my daily driver (130 miles a day). I switched to 215/60/15 and the problem is gone. I couldn't believe that it made that much of a difference. There was no stance or look change. The tires were the cheapest thing to replace compared to the other solutions.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Just the passenger side. I actually laughed when I read your post so I know how annoying it is.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Mine rubbed on the pass side and I tapped it with a rubber hammer. . . .gently and there is no more rubbing.
Mine rubbed a bit more on the inner fender. An 8 lb fine-tuner did the job just fine...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts