should I be upgrading the rear brakes at this time - I still have factory drums
is there anything ealse on the car that I should be upgrading at this time

thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add one thing as well

the car currently has 18 inch rims with 235/40 in the front and 235/45 in the rear
I do not know the back spacing - but will this set up be a problem

I do want to switch the rims out and keep 235/18s in the front but I want to go 255 or up to 275 with 18s
if I need to drop down to 17 for this I will or 17 in front and 18 in rear

what would be a good rim size and back space for 18s or 17s

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've seen 275s on an 18x9.5" rear wheel with 5.25" back spacing work. If your fronts are OK now, they should be OK after these changes.

A couple of thoughts...

Did those factory control arms come with bushings and ball joints? If so, I bet the bushings are rubber and with the other upgraded parts, I'd want polyurethane to reduce deflection.
Also, first gens have some come camber gain issues where the front wheels lean outward when the suspension compresses. That is the opposite of what you want when you lean over in a turn. You can fix some of it with a taller upper ball joint or what is called the Gulstrand Mod. You can read about both here and Dave is a member of this forum: FIRST GEN SUSPENSION. Proforged offers a 0.5" and 0.9" taller upper ball joint. I think Dave recommends the 0.5" as the 0.9" makes bump steer worse

Note, if you make one of the changes above, you also want a taller outer tie rod end which Proforged makes and is what I will be using. (I have QA1 control arms and the .5" taller Proforged upper ball joint). This helps reduce bump steer. The steering kit you got has tie rods but I don't know if they are the taller variety. Did you get the steering arms from Ridetech as well. I think their are supposed to help bumb steer. You'd want to talk to them about how all of that works with taller ball joints and tie rod end.

Rear discs would be nice but unless you are doing a lot of hard braking, you probably don't really need them.

If you're going with new body mounts, consider solid ones like Global West makes. I think they are about the same price and should stiffen the car up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats correct Corey
the kit has the tall ball joints and all bushings for the control arms

so should I order - taller outer tie rod end for bumpsteer

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is my understanding of what you should purchase, but I would contact Rodney Pouty with SuspensionGeek. He is a former Ridetech employee who branched off to provide suspension consulting & vendor services. In my experience, phone tech with manufacturers can be hit or miss depending on who answers the phone. I have been confident in the support Rodney has offered me, and I also plan on a very similar route you are on. Please keep this thread updated on your thoughts of your purchase once it is installed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
thats correct Corey
the kit has the tall ball joints and all bushings for the control arms

so should I order - taller outer tie rod end for bumpsteer
I don't think so because you are getting there steering arms which I think are designed to accomplish the same thing. I'd ask Ridetech or the guy Titan recommended.

Also, that steering kit, if it is the one I am looking at, has taller spindles and with them I don't think you need the taller ball joints. Again, a quick call to Ridetech will answer the question.

One thought? Have you ever removed coil springs? It can be very dangerous if you do it wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bruce is again correct on theory but off on application. :)

Factory steering arms do not correct geometry. Bruce may be thinking of the steering arms (and spindles) that are included in the RideTech TruTurn setup.

Adam - There are 3 size of steering arm lengths. Verify the length you ordered will match your pitman arm length. Rodney can help you with this.

The taller TruTurn Spindles only work with RideTech StrongArm control arms. It does not appear he is describing his purchase to include the TruTurn setup, as if it did, most of the frontend components included in the StreetGrip kit would be rendered useless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ridetech has informed me that with the street grip kit you have to use factory control arms and you can not use the TruTurn setup unless you go to coil overs

they also said everything should be stock other then what the kit comes with - yes you can upgrade all the mounts and bushings that do not come with the kit witch I am doing
so this is why I only ordered the kit and steering kit from ridetech
the other stuff I ordered was all factory replacement parts
and then the polyurethane bushing and mounts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bruce is again correct on theory but off on application. :)

Factory steering arms do not correct geometry. Bruce may be thinking of the steering arms (and spindles) that are included in the RideTech TruTurn setup.

Adam - There are 3 size of steering arm lengths. Verify the length you ordered will match your pitman arm length. Rodney can help you with this.

The taller TruTurn Spindles only work with RideTech StrongArm control arms. It does not appear he is describing his purchase to include the TruTurn setup, as if it did, most of the frontend components included in the StreetGrip kit would be rendered useless.
What I meant to say was that the Ridetech steering arms "designed to correct bumpsteer". I assume that means the arms are angled down from stock giving the same effect as taller outer tie rod ends. That's not what I said, but it is what I mean to say. LOL.

I have an email from Ridetech that says their spindles can be used with the stock control arms.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ridetech has informed me that with the street grip kit you have to use factory control arms and you can not use the TruTurn setup unless you go to coil overs

they also said everything should be stock other then what the kit comes with - yes you can upgrade all the mounts and bushings that do not come with the kit witch I am doing
so this is why I only ordered the kit and steering kit from ridetech
the other stuff I ordered was all factory replacement parts
and then the polyurethane bushing and mounts
I mispoke about control arm bushings earlier becuase I didn't know what was in the kit. As Titan said, it comes with delrin bushing so go with that.

Their coil overs are abut $150 more expensive but I don't think they work with stock control arms. I've seen varying opinions on if coilovers with stock arms is a good idea. Some say they are not strong enough, others say they've done it for years without issue. I got QA1 coilovers from Global West for less than $500 and it included the upgraded roller bearing for the lower spring seat. I was originally going to use the stock arms but as I got into it, I decided I would not be happy with that and added the QA1 control arms. Have their sway bar as well. Pretty much bought their full kit without the tie rod end links.

So which "steering kit" did you get from them? I'm not sure which stuff we are talking about.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
sounds like a great project Adam, The ridetech street grip was a dream child when I was at ridetech, Bret and I were talking about the (super) bolt on market and it was going to be called ( 2G for 2G ) and I left the shop but the kit still came to market... I think your original question was

should I be upgrading the rear brakes at this time - I still have factory drums
is there anything ealse on the car that I should be upgrading at this time

thanks
I would ....just an inexpensive rear disc kit, maybe a right stuff or CPP kit makes a tremendous difference in drive-ability

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So which "steering kit" did you get from them? I'm not sure which stuff we are talking about.
this is the steering kit I got
https://www.ridetech.com/product/1967-f-body-steering-kit-w-power-steering/

I think it it just new factory steering components
it says it comes with Outer Tie Rod Ends but does not say taller Outer Tie Rod Ends

SO with that said
for the taller outer tie rod ends - witch one below should I go with

https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-improved-handling-tall-outer-tie-rod-end-1967-1969.html
https://www.rickscamaros.com/1968-1969-camaro-bump-steer-kit.html?crosssell=Product_Viewed

·
Registered
200 Posts
this is the steering kit I got
https://www.ridetech.com/product/1967-f-body-steering-kit-w-power-steering/

I think it it just new factory steering components
it says it comes with Outer Tie Rod Ends but does not say taller Outer Tie Rod Ends

SO with that said
for the taller outer tie rod ends - witch one below should I go with

https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-improved-handling-tall-outer-tie-rod-end-1967-1969.html
https://www.rickscamaros.com/1968-1969-camaro-bump-steer-kit.html?crosssell=Product_Viewed
I got the first one. That Flamming River thing looks fancy but not neccessary for what I think you are doing. Looks like it maybe has adjustability to it.

I think the Ridetech kit is all Proforged stuff. Their picture is the same as what Proforged has on their website with the exception of the adjusting sleeve.

https://proforged.autocaredata.com/items/116-10019

I have, or on backorder, all of the stuff in the Proforged kit except the Pitman arm because I already had that from when I got my new power steering box a while back. I bought it all piecemeal through Summit. I had not planed to replace it all at this time and started with taller upper ball joints and outer tie rod ends. Then when I looked at the rest of the steering linkage and realized it was shot, I ordered the rest of the pieces from Summit. The kit doesn't come with taller outer tie rods that I could see.

Have you already received the steering kit? If you want to taller outer tie rod ends, you'll end up with standard ones that are just wasted. Getting it all individually from Summit was not more expensive I think but the inner tie rod ends are on back order.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Have you already received the steering kit? If you want to taller outer tie rod ends, you'll end up with standard ones that are just wasted. Getting it all individually from Summit was not more expensive I think but the inner tie rod ends are on back order.
I have a shop, Suspension Geek, have done this for 20 years, I was a Hotchkis team driver, a Ridetech team Driver, and then a Ridetech employee for a few, and started my own bushiness 2 and a half years ago with my first build the Flare witch Project debut at SEMA

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all your help here
I am dropping the car off the the shop in the am to get the work done

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HGi Guys
I wanted to post an update as I use got my 69 back from the shop
OMG this car drive amazing
I highly recommend the ride tech street grip kit
the car Cornes very well drives very good on the street - and the new steering box is amazing too

one thing we did learn is you can not use shorty headers with this steering box - so I had to go to dugs long headers

also my shop did not use the long ball joints the kit came with but did use the longer tie rod ends and everything is perfect

thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts