Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1969 Camaro SS/RS vert with the Turbo 400... I want to replace it with the Tremec 5-speed kit. I have looked at various distributors and it appears that Hurst Driveline is the best from the research that I have done. I have read several threads here regarding the hydraulic vice the mechanical clutch, particularly with the header/z-bar issue. Here is my question-- do any of you have an idea which "kit" I need to purchase? They offer the Deluxe and Elite kits-- I sent Hurst Driveline a message this morning requesting more information, which will hopefully help. What can one expect to spend for the kit and lastly, for those who have done the swap, are you satisfied with the Tremec unit?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Chris,

BBC or SBC? even with BBC 2" headers, my Z-bar clears. I am partial to the factory mechanical linkage, its hard to beat when installed and adjusted correctly

I went with a TKO-500 and now upgraded 600 through Keisler. Both companies are reputable. If you need a hand let me know :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
X2. Just installed tko600 with mechanical. Also got my set up from Keisler. Tom hows your trans shift? Mine needs a little muscle from gear to gear. Is that normal? Everything runs smooth and no abnormal sounds or vibrations.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
x3 I bought my TKO from Keisler. Gene set me up with EVERYTHING I needed inlcuding a new 168T flywheel and repro 621 bellhousing. Install was a piece of cake and love the end result over my OE 4spd.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
X2. Just installed tko600 with mechanical. Also got my set up from Keisler. Tom hows your trans shift?.
I don't know yet ;)

I am still messing with AN fuel lines, filters, Race Pump regulator with return line, carb linkage, new starter hitting headers, new gauge cluster, you know the "normal" stuff that never goes as planned. :)

I do remember from the TKO-500 it took a few hundred miles to shift smoother.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Completely satisfied with my TKO-600 kit from Keisler with mechanical linkage and Sachs clutch kit. Broke it in with ATF for 500 miles and then refilled with Synchromesh. Can't see how dropping another $600 on a hydraulic clutch would be worth it unless there were severe space issues. However, if you're going from an automatic and don't have any of the stuff I guess the true price comes down a little. Not much though.

However, if I were in the market right now I would really be looking into their new RS transmission. The gear spacing is a little better than the Tremec, some of the Tremec's "personalities" are not an issue with it, it's made in the US, and it is a little cheaper. Only problem is that they just came out and there is a wait list a mile long for them so there's no feedback right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic everyone! Wow...thanks for all of the feedback! Tom-- it's a SB with headers. I just helped a buddy of mine convert is 69' Vette from a 700 R4 to an original Muncie 4 speed and we had to pull the header and have one of the tubes modified to mount the frame bracket for the Z-bar... I know Camaros are different and I don't want to go through what he did on his header with the manual clutch-- I actually prefer the "old school" clutch... I sent both Keisler and Hurst Drive-Lines requesting info.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You will have a hard time finding a SBC header that won't fit with a manual transmission in a first gen Camaro.

Take a look at the rear of the block where the pivot stud will screw in above the oil filter. Use an old paper towel tube or stick it in there where the z bar will go. You can also see where the push rod will come through the firewall (has a block off plate there) and will connect to the lever.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My TKO shifts as good or maybe better than my Muncie did. I read all the posts on 3rd gear problems but so far haven't had it happen to me. I'm using the stock type Hurst standard height shifter with a T-handle on it. I did pack the underside of the shift tower with Valvoline red synthetic grease during assembly, dunno if that helped or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again, everyone! I purchased the Keisler RS400 5 sp system... I will let you all know how the install goes! You all have helped so many times!

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts