Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a '69 camaro stored outside at my friends house for a few years. Just recently, I noticed the trim tag missing. It has been stolen in the last 2 to 3 years (I think). I bought the car on ebay and somewhere I think I have a picture of it. I hope that I do so, I can catch the crook and replace it.

Is a trim tag on a '69 unique to that particular car? Could it be traced to a VIN?

My question: I believe that the X11 code was only used for a certain amount of time in '69. I am wondering if I can take a cars VIN number and figure out the production date and tell if a car is correct with a X11 code trim tag. I am not sure about this.

I think I know the answer to this question but, is there any way I can figure out if someone has my trim tag for my car on their car? The most obvious would be a six cylinder VIN with an X11 code (I know that does not tell me my trim tag - but raises a red flag - if I see it in the area).

Exactly what does a X11 code mean? I know it is desireable. How does a X11 code affect a '69 Z-28?

There is around 3 major first generation camaro builders and sellers in my part of the state (southeast, KY). If you have a car that was in Kentucky at one time - check it out.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
RLH

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes

An X11 6 cylinder car is a "normal" configuration...

An X11 Z28 would be the 2nd or so car so equipped. Z28 with Style Trim was X33 code.

No records exist to tie a particular BDY number to a particular VIN.

X11 is just a non-Z28, non-SS396 car. Can be L6, base V8, optional V8, L48 SS350.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am confused with the "actual data" on the trim code tag that was stolen. I really need to find my paperwork. Hard to know everything. The car was an x-drag car but, still had the trim tag. It has SS emblem on the rear panel that looks right (I know that does not mean anything).

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
My RS had SS on the grille and tail panel, both placed there by previous owner to 'clone' an SS. Turned out I had an LM1 RS, so I replaced both SS emblems with RS emblems. The rear one had same holes as the SS and the front one was a clamp on style, no holes needed. Folks did funny stuff years ago. I still have the SS on the side fenders but those holes dont line up with the Rally Sport emblem so I left them for now.
Try to get all that info. from your trim tag, the vin and other data. The guys here will help you out. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got to thinking a little after reviewing the site from Eric. One way to check a trim tag would be to view the vin with plant production code versus the trim tag production plant code. For a example a car with Nowood in the vin number should not have Los Angeles on the trim tag. I can also watch out for a '68 with a '69 trim tag. I noticed 68 and 69 have the holes at differnt locations (of course two digit date).

I am still wondering if there is a way to compare or isolate a trim tag versus car production date or build date from the VIN.

I appreciate everyones help. PS. My camaro had one silver center trimmed tail light and one not! The silver trimmed was also stolen.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I hope you can locate a picture of your trim tag. That would be the ultimate.

My car did not have the trim tag when I bought it back in '83. But I wanted to know the approx. date it was built (what would the trim tag have had on it). I basically used the production VIN numbers by month chart on CRG. I figured out how many days it would have taken to get to my VIN in that month's range. Then, I had an approx. build week.

But as far as knowing the original interior trim, body colors, and maybe a couple other things (V8, D80), there is no way to be absolutely sure w/o a real trim tag and matching numbers drive train...

Was any of that of use???

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Well, only Norwood cars used the X codes, so if you find a local LA VIN car with a NOR X11 tag, you probably found your tag...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
X11 is just a non-Z28, non-SS396 car. Can be L6, base V8, optional V8, L48 SS350.[/QUOTE]

However, a few Yenko (double copo) Camaro's got X11 style trim and Z23 special interiors...7 or 8 maybe. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I have had a '69 camaro stored outside at my friends house for a few years. Just recently, I noticed the trim tag missing. It has been stolen in the last 2 to 3 years (I think). I bought the car on ebay and somewhere I think I have a picture of it. I hope that I do so, I can catch the crook and replace it.

Is a trim tag on a '69 unique to that particular car? Could it be traced to a VIN?
It can not be traced to a VIN unless some member here has this car in their private records. There are no records from Chevrolet productions to look at.

My question: I believe that the X11 code was only used for a certain amount of time in '69. I am wondering if I can take a cars VIN number and figure out the production date and tell if a car is correct with a X11 code trim tag. I am not sure about this.
You can from the VIN get an approximate productiondate +- one week.

I think I know the answer to this question but, is there any way I can figure out if someone has my trim tag for my car on their car? The most obvious would be a six cylinder VIN with an X11 code (I know that does not tell me my trim tag - but raises a red flag - if I see it in the area).
See my first answer

Exactly what does a X11 code mean? I know it is desireable. How does a X11 code affect a '69 Z-28?
Has been answered in previous posts. It can be a SS 350 and that makes the tag desireable for people who want to make an SS-Clone and make a few extra bucks from someone who don't know what to look for.

There is around 3 major first generation camaro builders and sellers in my part of the state (southeast, KY). If you have a car that was in Kentucky at one time - check it out.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
RLH

Jan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not had any luck finding my paperwork from the ebay sale. I know it was decoded in the item listing and that would be a tremendous help. I contacted ebay tonight - if you ever had to contact ebay with an issue then you know it was worthless. I have to try ebay again tomorrow - different department. I purchased this car about 5 or 6 years ago (maybe longer) in Florida. The guy I bought it from dealt in camaros. I remember he just completed a 69 yenko replica in yellow that looked really good. I can't remember the city. He also dealt in replacement panels and gave me a couple of quarter panels for the car. The car is an old drag car with a full roll cage, ladder bars, fiberglass hood, maroon, 5:13 rear end. The strange thing about this car is that it looks like someone put some kind of steel bars inside the frame rails. I will try and scan one of the old pictures that I have an add it here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts