Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Factory spoiler cars have the emblem, dealers usually removed and didn't relocate when adding a spoiler.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302 & M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood. Pics

2002 SS: 35th Anniversary coupe, 6 spd, all GM options plus additional SLP options: 345 hp package, floor and rear hatch mats. Pics

'69 RS-Z/28, 58K miles, all numbers match, POP & Build Sheet, in a barn since 1975. Currently starting restoration. Pics

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Yes. If you open the trunk lid you can see where the two areas that the emblem could've been mounted at. The two areas where the sheet metal reinforcements leave openings to the outer sheet metal and the openings match up with the emblem mounting lugs positions. Aft set of openings is for the non spoiler cars, forward set is for the factory installed spoiler emblem mounting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Maybe I am wrong here but wouldn't there be no holes drilled for the emblem under the spoiler on a factory spoiler car?

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302 & M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood. Pics

2002 SS: 35th Anniversary coupe, 6 spd, all GM options plus additional SLP options: 345 hp package, floor and rear hatch mats. Pics

'69 RS-Z/28, 58K miles, all numbers match, POP & Build Sheet, in a barn since 1975. Currently starting restoration. Pics

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Well, I saw an original X33D80 today, and it did not have the emblem holes under the spoiler. I wonder if after they coded D80 on the cowl tag (which I think was like May 69), they started installing deck lids without the extra holes. Just a thought.

BTW, what kind of bubble gum?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've seen plenty of spoiler cars that have both sets of holes. The holes under the spoiler were plugged with seam sealer. Many of the cars you see now have been repainted so the oportunity to weld or bondo up the holes was probably taken advantage of. The best cars to look at would be original paint spoiler cars. I have two 69 pace car deck lids with original paint. Both have two sets of holes. But then again, they built a lot of these cars differently from time to time.
Jim

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The holes for the regular production emblem were pierced in the deck lid outer panel in the dies when it was stamped - all deck lids (inner and outer) had the holes, spoiler or not; D80 cars had the new holes for the relocated emblem drilled on-line with a hand-apply fixture in the Body Shop, and the standard emblem holes were plugged with seam sealer when the spoiler was installed.

It's easy to spot a dealer-installed spoiler, as you can see through the access holes in the deck lid inner panel where the speed nuts from the original emblem attachment cut into the paint on the inside of the outer panel, and most dealers didn't re-install the original emblem in the "re-located" position like the plant did.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 17 of 17 Posts