Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took apart my steering column (non-tilting type) on my 69 to replace the ignition key lock and when I removed the 1969 Camaro Turn signal switch assembly, there was what looks like a narrow connector that maybe is supposed to connect to the back side of this switch with a thin copper strip?

The connector itself is broken but appears to have been a long thin clear plastic piece that plugged into the steering column casting in a square hole.

Does anyone know what this piece is for and have a picture of how it should be connected?

I am wondering if this supplies a ground for the horn that gets routed through to the top side of this switch.

I need to know what this copper strip is supposed to connect with on the switch and its purpose...

Any pictures or descriptions would be appreciated

thanks

·
15,370 Posts
Sounds like the key buzzer switch. It's not uncommon for the tabs to break off. It doesn't really 'connect' to anything... it makes contact when the ignition lock cylinder is in the OFF position and buzzes the horn relay when the door is opened.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,533 Posts
When ign key is installed and in the OFF or Locked position, open the drvr door and the horn relay buzzes its butt off until either the door is closed or key is removed.

Most people disable this function as it is almost the most annoying feature by pulling off the black/pink wire at the horn relay. But, it performs its designed purpose - annoy you to say you've left your key in the ign switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 1969 Camaro Turn signal switch assembly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When ign key is installed and in the OFF or Locked position, open the drvr door and the horn relay buzzes its butt off until either the door is closed or key is removed.

Most people disable this function as it is almost the most annoying feature by pulling off the black/pink wire at the horn relay. But, it performs its designed purpose - annoy you to say you've left your key in the ign switch.
So if I leave this piece out, then the only change will be no "key in ignition warning buzzer"?

I can live without that...

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,317 Posts
To answer the original question "what do the two strips connect to?" They touch two contacts on the back of the T/S switch to perform the function as Joe and Everett have said above. To the second Question Yes just no buzzer.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts