Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of my customers brought me his '69 Z28 to sell. I haven't had time to look the car over thoroughly but he says it is numbers matching engine/transmission. California car its whole life. No rust underneath. Repainted once. Real deal Z28. Definitely not a clone. Factory 4-speed. Has headers on it but he has the original manifolds. Has the original Holley carb on it. Waiting for all his documentation on the car and extra original parts. I've looked at some comps ranging from 50K as high as 90K. Last 70 1/2 Z28 RS hugger orange I sold last year for 45K. Was thinking of starting this one out in the mid 50's or higher if the numbers all do match on this car.Paint is in excellent shape. I'd give it a 8.5/9 out of 10 and the interior has new carpet, seat covers front back, door panels, etc. Not looking for a price set in stone but based on your knowledge, the market, past sales, etc. am I right where I should be or am I too high or too low. I know I'll have no issues selling it but want to get some feedback from the pro's out there. And if you need exact details on the car to provide a better estimate of its true value I will gladly get it. I plan to detail it this weekend and then rack it so I can start taking numbers off and verifiying everything.

Thanks in advance. Zubes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cY7mzPLGB87BHsZw5

·
15,227 Posts
Need pics of the car. Pics of pad stamps and other info

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need pics of the car. Pics of pad stamps and other info

New pics added in original link of car of VIN, pad stamps, etc. Will get a new front spoiler as the one on the car is cracked and also change out the front grill to the silver standard grille it supposed to have according to clill.
If anyone is interested feel free to throw me an offer. Owner has had the car for 10 years and has lots of paperwork, documentation, CA dmv registered owners, etc which he will bring to me. I've literally had the car for two days and have just started detailing it. I have not even had the chance to run the vin and body tag but will do that once I have free time to see down and verify everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So from looking at the VIN and cowl I've gathered it was in the Van Nuys, CA plant. Original color was fathom green with black standard buckets. All of that looks fine. He bought the car as you see lemans blue and had decoded the cowl tag as well to tell me it was an original fathom green car. As far as the muncie trans numbers that's where I need help to verify. Looks to be from a 65-67 based on the 3885010?Am I correct?

VIN-
1-chevy
2- camaro
4- 8 cyl
37 –coupe
9-1969
L- Los Angeles
512848- serial number sequence

Cowl Tag
St69- 1969 12437- coupe
Vn215003- van nuys ca factory/ body sequence
TR-711 - Standard Black bucket seat interior.
57 57 pnt- fathom green – lower and upper body paint color
K352- internal scheduling code
2B_ = Feb- 2nd week body scheduled for production

Casting: 19L512848
VIN: 124379L512848

V1206DZ
V- Flint
12- Month –Dec
06- Day- Dec. 06

Muncie Tag
3885010 1965 - 1967 Patent Number, 1" Bore
3857584 1966 - 1970 Passenger-Side-Mounted Speedometer, 27 Spline
# P1119
P= Muncie
11=- month code- Assembled, November
19= day of month- November, 19

Rear end: 3894860= 12 bolt
Just realized I missed the code location on the third member for the ratio. Owner told me its 3.73 posi which I'll have to verify and get that number.

High Performance Z28 DZ Holley Carb 3923289-DZ list #4053
Is this original to the car or is there no way to be able to tell?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
You're correct on the Muncie. That does hurt the value somewhat, along with the color change. Did Charley give you an estimate ? He probably has more experience with these cars and their value than anyone. I'm thinking around 50K.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're correct on the Muncie. That does hurt the value somewhat, along with the color change. Did Charley give you an estimate ? He probably has more experience with these cars and their value than anyone. I'm thinking around 50K.
Thanks for the feedback and yes he did give me his estimate. Right where you had put it at and after doing my research I was thinking that sounded about right. As I told him I'll shoot for the stars as I can always go down on price but not back up. Plus here in CA being that its from CA someone will fall in love with it as it sits even though it does have the color change and non-matching transmission. Thanks again.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
Good to hear then, you're on the right track. I'm not positive, but think the Muncie is from a 65 or 66. The main drawback is the smaller (1") countershaft. There's probably a partial VIN on the top of the case, which can't be seen without removing the trans.

The color change is negative only to a purist buyer. I'm sure plenty of other buyers would prefer the LM Blue. Looks nice. Good luck !

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The cowl tag is 12B, not 2B, which is important because otherwise your dates are to far apart.

Also need the correct engine casting code and date, along with the stamped code on the rear end.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
I prefer the blue too, but the trunk stripes creep me out. Its a driver quality car. I'm in the low to mid 40 's on value. Just my opinion, don't shoot me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear then, you're on the right track. I'm not positive, but think the Muncie is from a 65 or 66. The main drawback is the smaller (1") countershaft. There's probably a partial VIN on the top of the case, which can't be seen without removing the trans.

The color change is negative only to a purist buyer. I'm sure plenty of other buyers would prefer the LM Blue. Looks nice. Good luck !
Thanks for the info on the Muncie. The last 70 1/2 Z28 I sold was the same way with the original engine but a different Muncie. I assume that back in the day it was easier to throw in another Muncie vs having it rebuilt? You'd think that the transmission's would be original to the car but then again I'm sure many of them grenaded for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cowl tag is 12B, not 2B, which is important because otherwise your dates are to far apart.

You are right. Thanks for pointing that out.

12B- 2nd week of Dec.

Also need the correct engine casting code and date, along with the stamped code on the rear end.
Owner had the engine pulled out to freshen up many years ago. He said his engine builder took photos of all those casting dates/numbers and will give them to me. I will add them to the album when I get his huge stack of documentation. Right now I'm getting it detailed, will paint that grill as recommended by Charley, replace front spoiler and throw a new set of tires on it.

Very nice car. Why do you have the rear hoist pads on the floor boards. Bad idea.
That was a F$(% up on my part and yes you are right. Won't go into why I did it that way but won't ever do that again.

I prefer the blue too, but the trunk stripes creep me out. Its a driver quality car. I'm in the low to mid 40 's on value. Just my opinion, don't shoot me.
What am I missing on the trunk stripes as I didn't pay close attention to them? Are they not properly placed on the car or not straight enough? Let me know as I like to get as much info as I can regardless of any flaws/imperfections. Appreciate all valuations high or low! As I mentioned I'm selling it for my customer and he has his number of what he thinks its worth and I have mine. When it comes to selling we'll meet somewhere in the middle and see where it ends up. And I agree with you its definitely a quality driver. Being in CA its whole life with no rust is definitely a bonus in my eyes regardless of any items on the car that aren't original.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
The rear stripes should end under the spoiler. Those go to the edge. Just a pet peeve of mine. I was surprised how many people commented on the fact that they liked that the ones on my car were correct. I just thought it was my issue.

I think the color change and the underside of the car are going to hurt the price more than the transmission. It would take a lot of time and money to detail the underside to show/cruizer quality.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting. My Cars VIN is 344 off of yours. Mine too is an LA built 12B. And by the way the exhaust manifolds you have pictured are not the originals.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
I think it would sell fairly quick at 50.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rear stripes should end under the spoiler. Those go to the edge. Just a pet peeve of mine. I was surprised how many people commented on the fact that they liked that the ones on my car were correct. I just thought it was my issue.

I think the color change and the underside of the car are going to hurt the price more than the transmission. It would take a lot of time and money to detail the underside to show/cruizer quality.
Ah I see what you're saying. Thanks for pointing that out. Never would have caught that. This is definitely not show quality but the owner never purchased it with that intention. He purchased it as is and did some engine work, exhaust, and few other minor things. This car needs to be driven and enjoyed.

Interesting. My Cars VIN is 344 off of yours. Mine too is an LA built 12B. And by the way the exhaust manifolds you have pictured are not the originals.
The owner had mentioned that these were not original

I think it would sell fairly quick at 50.
I agree

·
15,227 Posts
The 69 Z28 I recently restored was all numbers match completely restored, rebuilt original engine, rebuilt original trans, rebuilt original 12 bolt. Stripped to metal and correct FG paint white stripes.

I had a hard time finding a buyer because of the color. Although FG was correct I had many buyers that said if it was blue, orange, silver they would have bought at my asking price

They said they cared less about the numbers than the color.

So even though not correct for this car per the TT I think the more popular color actually adds value.

I was torn between painting a color like Silver with black stripes or maybe black with white stripes. I got talked into staying original FG and kicked myself ever since for not going with my gut. FG choice probably cost me $10k in price I sold the car for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 69 Z28 I recently restored was all numbers match completely restored, rebuilt original engine, rebuilt original trans, rebuilt original 12 bolt. Stripped to metal and correct FG paint white stripes.

I had a hard time finding a buyer because of the color. Although FG was correct I had many buyers that said if it was blue, orange, silver they would have bought at my asking price

They said they cared less about the numbers than the color.

So even though not correct for this car per the TT I think the more popular color actually adds value.

I was torn between painting a color like Silver with black stripes or maybe black with white stripes. I got talked into staying original FG and kicked myself ever since for not going with my gut. FG choice probably cost me $10k in price I sold the car for.
Thanks for your input and I couldn't agree with you more. As a dealer who has sold thousands of cars when it comes down to the car and price point most don't care about the engine as much if its #'s matching or transmission if its a color they love and want.

Don't get me wrong when you ask 90K the same Z28 all those numbers better match and every nut and bolt better be new and to the purists everything has to be factory original. I get all that. And numbers matching has its importance but if it was factory green all numbers matching I don't think I would sell it quickly. I prefer the lemans blue over the FG as well and being in CA on the water I can understand why it went lemans blue when it did.

I recently sold 3 T-Birds 55 and 56's. The two torch red and egg shell blue sold instantly while the '55 raven black frame off restored, in better shape than those 3 cars is still sitting in my showroom. So yes you're 100% right. Color matters big time and sometimes trumps the factory original.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I attend a lot of car shows and read a lot of Camaro trim tags. More than 50% of the cars do not match and no one seems to care.

Only on the internet and concours type events where you are being judged does it matter.

LeMans Blue is so popular, I have heard non Camaro people just call it "Camaro Blue". You will not have any trouble selling a blue car.

·
15,227 Posts
I attend a lot of car shows and read a lot of Camaro trim tags. More than 50% of the cars do not match and no one seems to care.

Only on the internet and concours type events where you are being judged does it matter.

LeMans Blue is so popular, I have heard non Camaro people just call it "Camaro Blue". You will not have any trouble selling a blue car.
This is true and most people who by from dealers are clueless about the TT as well as the other #s and details.

So imho the car, if it is as described, is worth about $45. The dealer here probably wants 10% or more so he has to jack up the price to get himself a profit and in doing so will add more to allow some negotiating room.

So speculation gets us to an asking price of mid to high $50s. Way too much for this car.

GLWS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts