Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to first apologize for creating another post asking about a particular Camaro, I don't want to bother anyone here too much with excessive posts. But thanks to all of the users here with the help from previous threads, I've been learning a lot! Unfortunately, there gets to be a point where my knowledge can only carry me so far. That's why I look to you guys.

Also, I understand that going through dealers is almost always a bad thing to do and should be avoided. They'll rip me off, they'll probably lie, etc.. although I still think these discussions will help me know what to look for, and how to approach it.

Here is the Camaro (photos included):
Build turbo 400 reversed manual valve bodied 3-speed ratchet shifted trans with a stall speed converter
12 bolt positraction rear differential outfitted traction bars
3-inch mandrel bent exhaust system
fuel cool can
reserve vacuum brake canister
line lock system 6 point roll cage

It appears to have had some other work done to it that wasn't listed as well. I'm not looking for complete originality. I think if there were customizations that were done properly and don't look terrible, then it's great!

VIN appears to be: 124379N512045 (picture included)

Overall, not many other details were included in the initial post. It's noted as having a 396 cu in (6.5 L). I have the contact, so please let me know if there's anything I should ask about. Thanks again to everyone who helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photos continued (1):
The odometer appears to have 91k?
Also, I made sure to include pictures of the trunk, as there was a user from my first thread about a '68 Camaro that had some funkiness there. Maybe this one has the same?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Are you planning to drag race? That’s what it’s built for. Roll cages have no place in a street driven car unless you drive around with a helmet on….

Really bad choice imho….

Don

·
Registered
222 Posts
You've taken a hard left turn into a different category with this choice. This is definitely a street/strip setup. Have you driven a car with a grumpy engine, reverse pattern manualised auto with a big converter, etc? I personally love it on the street BUT they're not for everyone - I wouldn't call it a nice relaxing drive. As above, with a modified car like this - you'll need a certain level of mechanical aptitude to properly maintain and fix. If you're looking for a relatively simple and trouble-free experience, this isn't the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've taken a hard left turn into a different category with this choice. This is definitely a street/strip setup. Have you driven a car with a grumpy engine, reverse pattern manualized auto with a big converter, etc? I personally love it on the street BUT they're not for everyone - I wouldn't call it a nice relaxing drive. As above, with a modified car like this - you'll need a certain level of mechanical aptitude to properly maintain and fix. If you're looking for a relatively simple and trouble-free experience, this isn't the car.
Apologies, that wasn't my intention to take a left turn. I forgot I had reached out to the seller for more details. They got back to me and I looked into it further.

It seems like all/near-original Camaros are rare. People have slapped SS badges on practically all of them at this point and have done other modifications. Anything that's original will probably need a lot of extra work done to it. On the flip side, heavy modifications seem to leave the door open for sloppy work, tacky modifications, etc. Pros and Cons to both, and I don't have a preference. I don't mind modifications, as long as they were done correctly and professionally, so I'm certainly not expecting a bone stock Camaro.

In terms of comfortability, I don't mind it. It wouldn't necessarily be my daily driver, but I would drive it regularly. I'd get a Tesla if I wanted driving to feel like I was in a simulator lol! 😅

I used to work on my old 1986 Toyota Supra MKIII. It was a pain in the ***, blown head gasket, but I would definitely be willing to put in the effort to learn what's needed for maintenance. It seems as though classic cars kind of naturally come with an expected level of maintenance. Is it truly possible to have a simple and trouble-free experience? I'm not trying to go into it with any expectations like that.

·
15,491 Posts
You want a 1st Gen but it doesn’t seem like you know what you want.

have you ever driven or ridden in one?

·
Registered
247 Posts
What cam ?
What carb ?
Why roll bar on a 396 ?
Sub frame connectors ?

IMO, this Camaro has the ear markings of a poser !

·
Registered
222 Posts
Apologies, that wasn't my intention to take a left turn. I forgot I had reached out to the seller for more details. They got back to me and I looked into it further.

It seems like all/near-original Camaros are rare. People have slapped SS badges on practically all of them at this point and have done other modifications. Anything that's original will probably need a lot of extra work done to it. On the flip side, heavy modifications seem to leave the door open for sloppy work, tacky modifications, etc. Pros and Cons to both, and I don't have a preference. I don't mind modifications, as long as they were done correctly and professionally, so I'm certainly not expecting a bone stock Camaro.

In terms of comfortability, I don't mind it. It wouldn't necessarily be my daily driver, but I would drive it regularly. I'd get a Tesla if I wanted driving to feel like I was in a simulator lol! 😅

I used to work on my old 1986 Toyota Supra MKIII. It was a pain in the ***, blown head gasket, but I would definitely be willing to put in the effort to learn what's needed for maintenance. It seems as though classic cars kind of naturally come with an expected level of maintenance. Is it truly possible to have a simple and trouble-free experience? I'm not trying to go into it with any expectations like that.
Nice original (or close) cars are not rare - they're absolutely out there if you have the correct budget (40K USD will get you a very nice original V8 67/68). If you purchase the right one that isn't a pig with lipstick, it won't require extra work beyond the usual maintenance that you'll get with any car. It is true you can have a simple and relatively trouble-free experience - you need to remember these cars were brand new cars used for everyday commuting once. GM designed them to work as such and there's no reason they can't be that today.

Modifications can be done by both amateurs or professionals, and done both poorly or well - it's a case by case basis and requires very careful and close inspection of modifications before purchasing any modified car.

Before going any further - work out EXACTLY what you want out of your first-gen Camaro and start looking for that car. Going into the market with half an idea and a dream is a good way to spend your money on a disappointment.

On the 69 in question; it's modified. There are a bunch of parts on it that were never designed to be there, probably weren't designed to work with some other parts, and some, as anyone modifying cars and buying aftermarket parts has found out, weren't designed that great overall. Unless the modifications were planned out properly, high quality parts, and installed correctly; things will break, things will need changing and you may or may not like how these parts change the car... and that's a big gamble monetary wise. Given your situation, I would pass on this car and not think twice about it and this is coming from someone who has both original and heavily modified cars...

PS: a lot of people will warn you off dealers for a VERY good reason. I see the same warnings being dished out on every one of these threads from new comers needing purchase advice and that same advice is pushed aside and more dealer cars are presented - maybe because most online sources for purchasing these cars are flooded with dealer listings, maybe because of inexperience, maybe both. But, seriously, stop looking at dealer cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts