Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this but I still have questions.

My '69 did not originally have the console gauges from the factory. To add to the confusion it was originally an automatic that has been converted to a 4 speed. If I order the console gauge conversion harness my understanding is the main harness will not have a plug in because it was not originally a console gauge car. If this is true, what is the point of buying the harness if I still wind up having to run the wires myself?

Thanks.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The orginal main harness, on the 69 installed on all cars, as far as I know has the plugs to plug the consol harness in.
There maybe a feed for temp/fuel(?) and ammeter u will have to add but these are included in the kit..
I did one couple decades ago...
Also get a good schematic diagram over and above the one that comes with the kit...
The diagrams maybe better than the ones yrs ago thu.

Wire in step by step, do not try to do the whole thing all at once , other wise if u are not familar with wiring u will gets messed up with logic after a while.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess the question in my mind is does my Camaro have the the plug for the console harness even thought it did not originally have the console gauges. I seem to get different opinions on this. If it does it seems like it would be plug and play if I buy the conversion harness.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
If your car came with a console, it will have the plug for the console harness.

There are 4 possible console harnesses, auto and stick, with and without gauges.

They sell a "gauge conversion harness" which contains everything you need to add console gauges to a car that never had them. You'll need that, the correct console harness, and the gauges themselves.

The gauge conversion harness will not look "exactly original" but it will make everything work.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it had a factory console it will have the plug but it will not have the extra wires for the gauges. I installed the gauges in my car this way. I wired them myself in to the stock dash harness but as someone else said I think you can buy a harness premade to install them.
Jim, you beat me to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts