Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
the actual pace cars were 396's and i think they were the 375 hp ones too .. chevy made some for the public but they were 350's

·
Registered
370 Posts
"WRONG" You could get the 396 in the Pace Car and the 350 like all SS. Do a little reading boy's there is a lot of info out there but you do have to look for it.

TIM

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
Festival Cars were both 350 and 396's.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Festival Cars were all 350's with TH 350 Transmissions. Some of the "Official" Cars were equipped with 350's and 4 speed, and 396's with 4 speeds.

The festival cars were the cars used at the track for the parades, and other official activities. There was roughly 43 of these. The official cars were used by track officials, and USAC personnel. There were about 20 of these. In addition there was another group of cars that were loaned out to visiting officials, and car magazine and other reporters to drive around Indianapolis during the month before the race. These were neither "festival" or "official" cars.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Didn't know that about the Festival cars! There's a list of VINs for most of the festival cars, which was recorded by someone who went around to as many of the cars as he could find that week in 1969, and wrote down as much of the VIN as he could see.
Pace car replicas could be ordered, before and after the race, with any SS engine/tranny option, and many other options, as well.

·
3,176 Posts
First Camaro I ever rode in was was a 396 Pace car owned by a friend back in 1969 when we were in high school. Car meet its fate when it was sandwidched between a tractor trailer and a 20 foot high retaining wall. Last time I saw it was 10 years ago still under a tarp and still totoled on his dads farm i Illinois.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts