Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a problem then. I have 2 factory 4sp w/ gauges main harness' and both dont have a Gen light. No cut wires on one and the other is o.k. condition. Messed up thing is I connected the alt to the gen light wire!! Im confussed any help would be great. My alt is not charging. Thanks Brad

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Brad;
All original console 69's have no gen light, the console gauge performs that function. Now as to why the alternator doesn't function whole nother story.
Usually check grounds to start, regulator, altenator, and the most uncommon spot is the ignition switch. Been there done that. Do a search on the Electrical and Wiring section and you'll find enough info to get started troubleshooting. Or post away at whats happening and what you've changed.

Todd

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I'm not 100% on 69's or console guage cars, but....

The white wire to the alternator "turns it on"
This wire passes thru the reg and out on the brown wire.
The brown wire goes to the gen light, the other side of the gen light goes to the "run" terminal on the ignition switch.

At least for 68, console guage cars do NOT have a gen light. I believe this to be true of 69's too.

but...

inside the dash harness is a length of white fabric covered resister wire which is connected in parallel with the gen light. It provides voltage to turn on the alternator if the gen light burns out, and performs this same function in console guage cars that don't have a gen light.

The console guages themselves do not connect to the charging system in any way.

Take a peek at the electrical basics sticky. The is a page on troubleshooting the external regualtor charging system, you' need a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Jim;
Good point should've been clearer, the concole gauge only displays charge or discharge, if functioning correctly. The gen light will light if the altenator or regulator fails. Totally different functions. Pretty sure all original 69 console cars have no gen light in the harness.
Todd

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was able to track down the brown wire that supposed to go to the "gen light" on my old harness. It Turns into the brown/white wire and goes to the ignition switch. I just checked the white wire to the alt and it reads .5v with the key on position. Is this correct? I assuming the white wire is doing its job?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
ok, I'll check the sticky myself...

I would expect the brown wire on the reg to be near zero volts with the enginew not running, key on or off, and to be near 12 v with the engine running and the alternator charging properly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry JimM I did check the stickey just wasnt sure on the internal reg. alts. I ran the bypas version that I found on here. Brown to blue then blue to the alt 1? Thats the way I have it now. Going to bench test the alt, let you know what I find.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YA Alt was bad. Picked up a new one today all is good. Just wanted to thank JimM and Undeez and the rest of the guys for getting the novice through his first wiring job. It seems that I've got it all mocked up and working. Just need to solder a few things and start tucking the wires away. Theres no way on Gods great earth I could of completed the wiring without the help of this forum. Thanks Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts