Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the restomod process, for an unknown reason, the heater motor was never replaced. So I got my AIM today and while it's not #1 on my list of things to do to finish this car properly (front power discs & quick steering are 1 & 2), I would like to start lining up my ducks.

With regard to getting to the fan mount, do I have to remove the fender to remove the fender liner? If the fender has to come off that means the hood too, right? Have to look at the fender closer even up front where it mates with the grill and lower valance. It would be "encouraging" if somebody said the liner can be removed without first removing the fender LOL.

As far as the motor itself, I read someplace that I'd be smarter to use a AC motor rather than the oem style heater/defroster fan to get better air volumne through the system. Does anyone have the part number for the AC motor, and is it a plug and play swap? Meaning it fits out of the box, mounting screws are the same, easy electrical connection?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I believe in the maintenance manual,it says to loosen or remove inner fender bolts and hold it out of the way by wedging a 2"x4" in there to access the fan motor.

Or you could do what the previous owner of my car did. Cut an X in the inner fender pry it open to get to fan,the beat the inner fender back.
:clonk:

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe in the maintenance manual,it says to loosen or remove inner fender bolts and hold it out of the way by wedging a 2"x4" in there to access the fan motor.

Or you could do what the previous owner of my car did. Cut an X in the inner fender pry it open to get to fan,the beat the inner fender back.
:clonk:
LOL... no, I'm not cutting into that inner fender, or cutting a hole in it and patching it with an "access panel". But I'll look for that section where it talks about loosening the inner fender. I'd have to have the motor in my hands to judge whether it can be slipped in, screwed down, and connected through a slot. It's a project for the Fall or Winter either way unless I have the time and patience to do it sooner.

No feedback on the AC motor?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Don't know the part number because I did mine 36 years ago. The heater went from baby's breath to wind in your face.
I'm thinking the designer(s) of the heating system must have been on wacky-tobaky. First the bizarre heater core, one for a small block and the other, that should have been used for all models, but only for a big block car like mine. Then a wimpy fan and motor that is really the epitome of 'basic useless gesture'.
But the rest of these cars is really cool!

·
Registered
290 Posts
It is best to remove the fender, if you do not you will wind up bending the inner fender liner and have devil of a time with reassembly. Ask me how I know this.

·
16,125 Posts
Ok I took one out without removing the inner or outer.

I pulled the inside box and core then the squirrel cage off the blower motor.

Then I was able to cut the heater box into pieces with snips and shears and took everything out piece by piece. Then I cleaned up the blood from the cuts I incuured. Lol

This was for a VA install. Not to replace the motor.

Best way in the long run is to pull the fender and inner as one piece. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am in the process of installing a VA system in my 68. I tried the lower fender procedure and it was a royal pain in the arse. I would not do it that way again. I could not gain enough room to remove the OEM fan motor to remove it. I eventually managed to pull out the inner fender enough to gain sufficient clearance to remove but in the process bent the inner fender which made it a *itch to reassemble.

Vince

1 - 7 of 7 Posts