Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Over the Christmas/New Years holidays I finally picked up my dad's base model '69 V-8/3-spd Camaro.

He is the car's second owner and it spent its whole life in Texas, mostly as a daily driver street/strip car. Once he had kids, the car sat in the garage where I saw it every day growing up, hoping it'd be mine one day. I've only seen the car running three times in my life and driven once around the block.

It's got an over-bored 400, power glide, and a posi 10-bolt out of a Firebird. It ran 12's with air shocks and mono's. No trans-brake or line-loc, yet.

I am currently in the process of stripping it all down to take to a guy to get it sprayed back to LeMans Blue (71 71 car) and getting the motor hooked up with new gaskets and seals.

I am trying to keep it looking like a Day 2 driver from the outside, complete with polished Centerlines and all the chrome. The car is all original glass and sheet metal with one bit of rot in the PAX rear floorpan that'll be patched up. The interior is going to remain strictly business, though I will be cleaning up and reinstalling the original dash pad, bezel, gauges, and front door panels. The back seat is sitting in the attic and the rear side panels will be staying up there, as well.

I will probably be asking some questions about restoring/cleaning the interior panels, looking for fuel tank, radiator, and trans cooler recommendations, and asking the ever popular "What size tires can I stuff under this thing?" in the coming weeks. So, thanks in advanced for all the help!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Glad to see it stayed in the family! Good luck and fire away those questions. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Cody welcome officially to TC. We look forward to seeing your progress. Maybe you should start a build thread and post some historical pictures of the car when you were younger. Always nice to see when a car stays in one family.

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
What Buckee's is that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for the welcome.

Unfortunately, my old man isn't one to take many pictures. I did find this gem, however. I framed it and kept it on my desk through school as a bit of motivation. It looks like the parking lot of Eastex Dragway in Houston.

My little 1-stall garage got full quick once I started ripping stuff out, but here is a shot of it tucked away when I got it out here to Florida.

But, I know this is what ya'll are all interested in:

Fixed link->

Once I unload it on to the body guy I'll be doing my research on some of the parts that are going to have to be replaced to get it back on the road. I am looking at radiator, trans cooler, tires, fuel tank, fuel pump (electric), fuel lines and flushing all the fluids.

I am hoping to have it driving by May. I am spending a bit over my budget on the body work, I just want to be sure that all of that factory sheet metal is going to be safe for the next 45 years!

Anyways, thanks for the interest and hopefully I can keep this thread alive for all of you who have too nice of a car to put on the drag strip!

-Cody

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Cool. I can move these posts over to the build section and start a thread there for you or you can walk over there yourself and start one proper.

Brian

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Welcome to the motley crew of dirty finger nails car guys. You've got the right year and thanks for the picts.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Welcome Cody from a lot further north than you and your new prize are. It's great that you have the car and are going to bring her back, I'm looking forward to watching the progress from a distance. BTW, my favorite year and also in my opinion the best year as well, pardon me while I duck after stating that :D

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Congratulations on getting the car! You will have fun with it. We were in Texas to see my brother last summer. Buc-cees definitely have the nicest bathrooms around (we stopped at the one in Bastrop). My brother always said you try to find a Buc-cees when you are on the road and need to drop the big one. Have fun with the car and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the welcome guys. It sounds like your brother gave you some good gouge on Texas road trips and the Buc-ees experience! They didn't start off quite like that. They used to be just a good place to get more ice then you need for under a buck. Kind of a staple place to stop now.

This is my similar car with 28.5" x 9" x 15" in stone-stock fender openings.

c

How does Ol Blue 60 foot? Do you got air shocks on it? That is definitely the look in going for!

-Cody

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
193 Posts
How does Ol Blue 60 foot? Do you got air shocks on it? That is definitely the look in going for!

-Cody
Ol Blue has put down a 1.45 60' time but because I have decided not to put in a roll bar, it's necessary to keep it slower than 11.50 on 1/4 mile tracks and 7.25 on 1/8 mile tracks. I estimate that the combination is probably capable of very low 11 or possibly high 10 second passes. No air shocks on my race cars. The rear ride height is set with a slightly re-arched stock mono-leaf. Front ride suspension includes a set of Moroso "Trick" springs with 1/2 coil removed. Front shocks are a set of old, tired Lakewood 90/10's; rear shocks are Competition Engineering 3-way adjustable set on 50/50.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a little too early for me to get into tire and suspension set up but that's a similar direction I was leaning. How does that 28.5" tire MPH? I think that's gonna be my biggest consideration since I'm running a Power Glide and 3.73 (I believe) rear gear.

Will probably be keeping the stock small block non-AC front coils and the mono-leaf that's on the rear end. I will definitely be shopping for new shocks though and either the slapper bars I got in the garage or some Cal-Tracs.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It's a little too early for me to get into tire and suspension set up but that's a similar direction I was leaning. How does that 28.5" tire MPH? I think that's gonna be my biggest consideration since I'm running a Power Glide and 3.73 (I believe) rear gear.

Will probably be keeping the stock small block non-AC front coils and the mono-leaf that's on the rear end. I will definitely be shopping for new shocks though and either the slapper bars I got in the garage or some Cal-Tracs.

Many years ago my first Camaro was a 68 with a straight-6, powerglide, and single track differential with 2.73 rear gears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many years ago my first Camaro was a 68 with a straight-6, powerglide, and single track differential with 2.73 rear gears.
I don't care how you slice it, I would of traded that straight 6 f-body any day of the week for my first truck, let alone that good looking Z!

·
Registered
193 Posts
How does that 28.5" tire MPH? I think that's gonna be my biggest consideration since I'm running a Power Glide and 3.73 (I believe) rear gear.Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm not sure what kind of MPH the car can reach since I need to keep a fairly tight leash on her to avoid getting into conflict with the 11.50 ET benchmark. I have seen 113+ at Fontana on the quarter-mile but there's quite a bit more than that because the carburetor has a limiter on it to control how far the throttle can open. With the throttle stop it runs consistently in the low 90's on an eighth-mile at Irwindale.

I'm also using a Powerglide but with 4.33 differential gears. If I get around to it, I'll probably swap out the gears and the torque converter because the combination would be a little too radical for the street as is. I built the car using the parts that were at hand without really anticipating how fast it would eventually be. My goal was a low 12 second piece but I over built the motor and compounded the problem by over-gearing and raising the converter flash too high. It's always something!

c

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're not interested in a bunch of pictures, I got a couple questions at the bottom of this post :beers:

I have been prepping the car for paint and the motor for the machine shop.

Got the front clip off:

The machinist has the motor while the 'Glide sits leaking in my garage:

I am slowly chipping away at the different trim pieces and what not while we prep the car for paint. For 45 year old parts, they sure do clean up pretty good! You know what they say, Simple Green makes your shtuff Simply Clean:

And for the other rattle-can heroes out there, got the old roll bar cleaned up before we scratched the new paint job up trying to stab it back in:

I don't have an eye for art by any means, but I think the semi-gloss was a good choice.

Currently, I got an E-Bay cart full of side marker light housings, light bulbs, head lamps, parking lights, and just about every other piece of plastic or chrome that came on the car to replace.

That being said, I am trying to restore or preserve what I still got. I hit the bumpers with every cleaning product I got in my house and then tried to polish them up with some Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish. The chrome itself is very pitted and the corrosion is pretty noticeable. Do ya'll have any recommended products to help fill in the pits or to get these things to pop when they're mounted next to the new paint job?

Here is a shot for fun:

As you can see, I polished a section of the rear (right) bumper and only wiped down the front (left) bumper. I don't want to paint or re-chrome these bumpers if I don't have to, as they are original to the car. Again, I am open to any suggestions on how to get these old parts shining.

I am also in the hunt for a new radiator and I am thinking about electric fans and deleting my mechanical fan. Lastly, if my fuel tank is good to go, I am going to begin searching for fuel lines and an electric fuel pump. Again, I am open to any suggestions and hearing about what has worked for ya'll on both drag strip and street duty.

Thanks,
Cody

·
13,971 Posts
Dual Electric Fans will do the job with a 2 core 1" tube radiator.

Stick with mechanical fuel pump.

If the bumpers are pitted rechrome is the only answer. You can polish them to look pretty good but you can't polish out the pitting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts