Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket, electric, motor kit for 1969 RS headlights?

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hi Ryan...

I don't know of any commercial kits, but I do know a guy from the north side of Columbus who adapted power antenna motors to work the hide-aways.

It actually works pretty good....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 5/18/01)

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info. I had heard that 67 or 68 RS's came with electric motors. Do you happen to know if that is true?

Ryan

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
67's came with electric motors, 68 and 69s came with vacuum operated doors.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, do you know if they sell replacement kits for the 67? If so, who sells them? And do you think it could be applied on a 69?

Ryan

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Whats the matter with using the original vacuum operated system? It will certainly be cheaper than trying to modify a 67 system or building you own.

Yes, you can get the 67 parts. Don't know of a kit that would include everything but you can buy the motors, limit switches, relays etc. Theres no bargain basement stuff there though. I think the motors alone are somewhere around $200 a piece. You can't use the headlight buckets and brackets from a 67 in a 69, so you would have to figure out a way to graft the bottom end (by the motor) of the 67 setup onto the 69 upper end of the pivot shaft.

The 67 system is probably even more unreliable than the 68/69 system, as it is real easy to burn up your motors if the limit switches aren't setup properly. Personally I'd stock with the stock setup from a 68/69.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark - I am simply considering all my options. My car is not a true RS. It has an RS front end on it however is missing all of the components for the headlight covers to be functional. I bought the car back in 1987 and just last year decided to tare it apart and make a nice ride out of it. I've found it's a very slow process. The body is currently at the body shop. I tryin to plan ahead for some of the delimas I had before. Thanks for the input.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts