Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've been researching investing in a 1969 Z28 for the past two years. I am relatively confident in what they are worth and what I feel comfortable paying for one. I am ready to purchase one this year, next summer latest. Having said all that...I recently found one I am interested in and am considering making an offer. My preference is numbers matching, engine, transmission, and rear end. However, my struggle is this particular one does not have a #'s matching transmission. But, I'm considering looking at it because its a complete restoration LAST YEAR!! So, the question is, exactly how much should it affect the price in the future. Can anyone put an approximate price or value on something like that? My struggle is the car is brand new and has literally everything I want option wise, color, X33, center console, ...so exactly how hung up should I be on the transmission??? Any thoughts,, input, or opinions welcome and appreciated! Sorry so long.

Thanks in advance,

Joe B

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
487 Posts
I can not venture a guess on value since you did not give enough info or pics but if it check all those boxes for you besides the trans. I would pull the trigger. I would post up pics of all the stampings to verify it is real and all the correct numbers.

·
20,362 Posts
IF it's the real deal, and just the trans is wrong, all you need to locate would be a date coded "replacement" I guess.
They do seem to hold value and increase almost yearly. Even "tributes" carry a decent price with the right parts.

Your $$$$$ and your gamble... just like money in the stock market.

·
15,091 Posts
If you like it and comfortable with the price buy it.

My only advice is do not buy it as an investment counting on it going up.

The market is strong now so probably paying top dollar. The market goes up and down on classic cars. I’d be betting there will be a correction in value in the near future.

However it really doesn’t matter unless you find yourself needing to sell at some time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can not venture a guess on value since you did not give enough info or pics but if it check all those boxes for you besides the trans. I would pull the trigger. I would post up pics of all the stampings to verify it is real and all the correct numbers.
Sorry
Sorry, was trying not to be long winded. Its a 1969 Z28, X33, #'s matching DZ 302, NON #'s matching M21 tyranny, #'s matching rear end (unknown 373 or 411), center console, wood finish, paint trim and options match up to trim tag. My intent is to have it inspected by a pro to make sure it is what it is. Its listed at 70K (a little overpriced), im not so concerned about the asking price, more hung up in my head on the transmission not matching. I guess the best way to describe it is, I've been looking for 2 years and this is one of the nicest ones I've seen. My rational is I may be willing to sacrifice the #'s matching transmission for a vehicle that was rebuilt a year ago from the ground up, even though I know if I'm patient one will come up all #'s matching, but less options if that makes any damn sense??

Thanks again,

Joe B
IF it's the real deal, and just the trans is wrong, all you need to locate would be a date coded "replacement" I guess.
They do seem to hold value and increase almost yearly. Even "tributes" carry a decent price with the right parts.

Your $$$$$ and your gamble... just like money in the stock market.
Thanks, thats pretty much the way I'm leaning. Its not an investment, it's more like a life long obsession which is why I'm so hung up on perfection and the options. My intent is to have it till I die, but just want to cover all my bases. My thoughts are im willing to sacrifice the trans because the car is essentially brand new. Was just wondering exactly how much it "hurts" the value if any is all.

Thanks for the input,

Joe B

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you like it and comfortable with the price buy it.

My only advice is do not buy it as an investment counting on it going up.

The market is strong now so probably paying top dollar. The market goes up and down on classic cars. I’d be betting there will be a correction in value in the near future.

However it really doesn’t matter unless you find yourself needing to sell at some time.
Thanks, Its not an investment, it's more like a life long obsession which is why I'm so hung up on perfection and the options. My intent is to have it till I die, but just want to cover all my bases. My thoughts are im willing to sacrifice the trans because the car is essentially brand new. Was just wondering exactly how much it "hurts" the value if any is all.

Thanks again,

Joe

·
15,091 Posts
If everything is VERIFIED as real Z28 and matching #s born with engine, NOT restamped, right carb, dizzy, pulleys etc. and the restoration was done correctly the non #s tranny IMHO does not hurt the value at all.

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
487 Posts
Joe B,

No need to be sorry. I am with Vegas it may prevent you from getting top dollar if you ever have to sell but a verified z28 that was restored well with everything else correct will still bring good money. Although it should not be bought as an investment. What color is it?? Just be very skeptical of dealers! Put your own eyes on it and have it inspected by a pro if you don’t know. Where is it located, if not too far Jerry McNeisch is in Maryland.

Derek

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If everything is VERIFIED as real Z28 and matching #s born with engine, NOT restamped, right carb, dizzy, pulleys etc. and the restoration was done correctly the non #s tranny IMHO does not hurt the value at all.
Tha ks
Thanks, that is my gut feeling on it, just wanted to make sure. My paranoia was there are just as many maniacs like me out there that want the entire vehicle to be #'s matching and if I ever had to sell it find out the hard way I messed up cuz I wasn't patient or informed enough!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe B,

No need to be sorry. I am with Vegas it may prevent you from getting top dollar if you ever have to sell but a verified z28 that was restored well with everything else correct will still bring good money. Although it should not be bought as an investment. What color is it?? Just be very skeptical of dealers! Put your own eyes on it and have it inspected by a pro if you don’t know. Where is it located, if not too far Jerry McNeisch is in Maryland.

Derek
Yea, that's the plan, I will definately have a pro put eyes on it first with me before I get serious. I have also been told to be careful with dealers. I have noticed on my own that dealer prices seem to be about 10k more than private sellers. My problem is the majority of the cars I've seen that I like in the last two years of watching seem to be in the hands of dealers. So, glass half full im thinkin what they ask and what they actually get may hopefully be two different things. Unfortunately, dealers have the luxury of putting a price on it and sitting till they get what they want for it!!

Thanks again,

Joe B

·
15,091 Posts
I find the quality of the car far out weighs the #s

Matching VERIFIED born with engine does add value however, a quality car with CE replacement is not worth but a few bucks less than one with the original.

All about the build quality. #1 Body and Paint, Panel Gaps, Doors and window fit and function #2 ---see #1

·
15,091 Posts
IMO if's it's a dealer asking 70 it's worth 50 at most. Just sayin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, that's pretty much my feeling and the answer I'm wanting to hear!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find the quality of the car far out weighs the #s

Matching VERIFIED born with engine does add value however, a quality car with CE replacement is not worth but a few bucks less than one with the original.

All about the build quality. #1 Body and Paint, Panel Gaps, Doors and window fit and function #2 ---see #1
Yea, that's the way I'm leaning too!! My problem is I'm one of those American muscle car nuts thats obsessed with the originality but I don't have deep pockets. This is basically a once in a lifetime shot for me, so I want it to be right.

Thanks again, much appreciated

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO if's it's a dealer asking 70 it's worth 50 at most. Just sayin
Yea, im no expert, just seems a private seller will start at 60k and sell it cheaper as time goes by, but the dealers will price the exact same ride at 70k and sit on it for a year. That's one of the reasons I want a pro to look it over and he can tell the dealer what its worth!!

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Yea, make sure it is inspected by a pro. As many have discussed before, why are you hung up on a Z? They are not meant to cruise, need frequent tune ups, don't come alive until you hit high RPM's. Out of 37 F body I have owned over 40 years my least favorite was an all numbers matching original 69 RS Z. My favorites are my current 3 69 RSSS, all have AC with plenty of options, HP and 2 frame off restorations by me, one with 56K miles is a loaded survivor with some freshening up over the 31 years I have owned it. Value is increasing as well as most first gen Camaros. Have you had the opportunity to drive different Camaros to get a feel what they are like before buying? And what are your driving/racing ideas? Just some thoughts that you probably have had for the last few years of the hunt. Good luck on the hunt.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro RS Z/28, M20, 3:55
240 Posts
$60k all day long as you described if everything checks out but the trans, and a quality resto IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, make sure it is inspected by a pro. As many have discussed before, why are you hung up on a Z? They are not meant to cruise, need frequent tune ups, don't come alive until you hit high RPM's. Out of 37 F body I have owned over 40 years my least favorite was an all numbers matching original 69 RS Z. My favorites are my current 3 69 RSSS, all have AC with plenty of options, HP and 2 frame off restorations by me, one with 56K miles is a loaded survivor with some freshening up over the 31 years I have owned it. Value is increasing as well as most first gen Camaros. Have you had the opportunity to drive different Camaros to get a feel what they are like before buying? And what are your driving/racing ideas? Just some thoughts that you probably have had for the last few years of the hunt. Good luck on the hunt.
You
Hi!!! We have spoken before my friend and had this same conversation. Nice to see you are still lookin out for me tho!! I became a member around the holidays and my intro was i was looking for a #'s matching 69Z and was looking for some general advice, and you asked me the same thing. I'm the crazy guy that's been obsessed this this car since I was a youngster in the 70's. For me it's all about body lines, the paint job, and originality remember. Not looking for a cruiser, this cars going for icecream with me, my girl, and my daughter on a nice summer afternoon and thats it. Now, im actually hoping to actually check one out for the first time and got myself all torqued up over the trans on this particular ride. If I remember correctly you signed off with "just an old guy talkin".

Thanks again for the input, ill definately have to hit you up when I finally get one!

Joe B.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$60k all day long as you described if everything checks out but the trans, and a quality resto IMO.
Yea, pics look amazing, and the restoration was last year, so I'm crossing my fingers it checks out!!
Thanks for the input, Joe B

·
15,091 Posts
Honestly I would buy a BBC SS or even a clone and bank the other $20k.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts