Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Classic Auto Air AC, and I need to install the proper pulleys (original only a PS car). I'm ordering proper pulleys (crank, ps, and water pump). Can they be replaced while on the car? Should I order a harmonic dampener as well as replace that as well (No reason to think it's bad)?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Yes, you should be able to replace them on the car. I'd verify the condition of your damper before I'd buy one. I had mine rebuilt several years ago by the Damper Doctor. The rubber on mine was shot so it was time.

https://www.damperdoctor.com/

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you should be able to replace them on the car. I'd verify the condition of your damper before I'd buy one. I had mine rebuilt several years ago by the Damper Doctor. The rubber on mine was shot so it was time.

https://www.damperdoctor.com/

Thanks for the advice. Besides normal sockets and tools, all I need is a PS pulley tool from autozone, right? Any other abnormal tools?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Besides normal sockets and tools, all I need is a PS pulley tool from autozone, right? Any other abnormal tools?

Standard tools should cover it and a tool to remove the PS pulley if necessary. You should be able to disconnect and move the PS pump around a bit if necessary to get a puller in if necessary. If you do elect to remove the damper make sure to buy/rent a proper removal/installation tool. Never pound on the damper.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
If you have an original power steering pump with the large nut on the end, you don't need a puller as it is keyed and will come right off.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Whoops. Definitely have the old version with a nut on the end. Do I need a special tool for the woodruff key? Or do I just use a wrench to loosen the nut while using a second wrench to hold it in place?

If I only try and remove the nut, it spins the whole pulley.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I think I used an air impact to get mine off. Mine came off really easy, though. You may be able to keep it from turning with a belt on the pulley.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I used an air impact to get mine off. Mine came off really easy, though. You may be able to keep it from turning with a belt on the pulley.
Got it. Thanks. That was a pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts