Team Camaro Tech banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Pretty sure it's just the connectors of the new wires haven't been compressed yet and probably a sharp edge around the perimeter catching as it's inserted into the cap. Push a bit harder and/or take some emery cloth and lightly go over that sharp edge. A very small amount of dielectric grease may help as well, just don't overdo it. Dielectric grease is good for the spark plug boots as well to aid in future removal. Again, apply sparingly.
I'll play around with it some more, but it seems like the connector doesn't go deep enough into the post to connect, I'm not sure I can slide the boot back further to give it extra length, and even so the boot seems like it doesn't fit over the post. I'll have to break out the calipers and see if there's a difference in post size between the generic cap and the Accel one. Also it appears that the connector inside the post is noticeably deeper on the Accel caps than the generic one, so they're not quite the same.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Was supposed to start the engine for the first time this weekend but it didn't happen. All the friends and family members that said they wanted to be there couldn't make it, which is just as well since I was pretty sick anyway. I decided to reassemble some of the front end for when I take it for a test drive and took out the grille to clean.

As far as I can tell its the original. Not in amazing shape but not horrible either.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Mode of transport Bicycle tire Automotive exterior

There is some damage here and there, including a piece that was knocked out of the very center. Actually it had been glued back into place once, and when I examined it it fell out. I set the piece aside to glue back into place but of course it grew legs and wandered off. Not sure how to fix that. I may take a file to the chipped part and file it down squared off, maybe it'll blend in better, but even if I try to glue a new piece back in that would be the first step anyway.
Wood Rectangle Composite material Natural material Metal

Here you can see the original paint next to the 1970's repaint. The whole grille (where painted) could use a sanding and a repaint. My goal is put the car back together so it is complete and drivable by the end of October, drive it around and enjoy it for a bit, and then begin the second phase of the project sometime around the New Year. Things like brakes, steering linkage, suspension, some interior reassembly, and then eventually bodywork as I would like to have it painted sometime next year. In the meantime I don't mind driving it around looking ratty. In fact I enjoy it.

Rectangle Automotive exterior Material property Bumper Tints and shades

Bad picture but here's about where I'm at for now. I reassembled the front end enough to where I might not get a ticket while I drive around for testing. I don't want to put everything back together in case there's a problem and I need to start pulling everything back apart. I figure if I have working headlights, turn signals, a "front end" and my required license plate then I should be good. That being said I may go ahead and put the grille and header panel back on just to make it look complete. I'll leave the hood off for testing, interestingly there's no specific law requiring cars to have a hood, but of course you can be ticketed for all sorts of vague laws.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

I ended up replacing the lower front fender extensions. I had painted them with that garbage that wrinkled and angered me, and they were damaged anyway. At least the driver's side is. Not sure if they were replacements, since I believe my camaro was hit at one point since it has damage to the rear passenger side and I think the front driver's side fender may have been replaced. I'll decide later on if I want to reuse the "original" lower front fender extensions when the car gets painted, but for now they'll go into storage.

Bumper Auto part Plastic Automotive exterior Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
With the untimely death of my uncle, there were many things I never got the chance to ask him. Also he was a very private man and often didn't go into elaborate details about the Z28. near the end of his life he almost wouldn't say anything about it. Most of the things I know about it are from piecing together written records, and from the firsthand accounts of two family members and a family friend who knew this particular car from the day he bought it up until the early 1980's. Of the records I was able to get (I am missing many things unfortunately) one of the things included was the picture I have as my profile pic, which may have been taken sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. My uncle had stood on the garage roof of my grandparent's house and took a picture of the Camaro, I think at a time when he was taking it to track races. On it are 12 stickers that I can see, and for whatever reason I've decided to take it upon myself to identify them. I've always liked stickers, and it wasn't until after my uncle's death that I found a pile of stickers he had collected also, something I never knew about him. Maybe that's partly why I'm trying to ID them, maybe I'm just trying to connect with my uncle and understand the history he had with his camaro, but I've done some looking around and examining and this is what I can see.

Edit: Neither my parents nor the family friend remember the Z28 ever having those stickers, but they all moved away or lost touch around the early 1980's, probably just before they were put on, and they might not have stayed on for very long. By the time my parents moved back, the car was moved away and nobody saw it until many years later when it was in storage. By then the stickers were gone.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Most of the generic ones were easy to identify, especially 1, 2, 3, 6, 8 and 10. I'm actually going to get another printer/scanner soon and will try to get a better image than the one above which is just a closeup photo of a photo. 4 took a little bit of eyeballing to identify. 7 is actually clearer in person than on the image above, 5 and 12 I actually had to search generic photos online before I accidentally stumbled upon the correct stickers. The two I'm having the most problems with are 9 and 11. Number 9 is simply at a bad angle as it curves underneath. In the photo it looks like red script on a white background with almost like a purple border around the text, but with the 70's yellowish photo who knows. Maybe Hoosier but the letters don't seem spread out enough. And of course it might not be a generic sticker from a big company, rather some small local business that nobody hardly knew about back then and has been lost to history. That leads me to number 11 which is interesting because I can almost read the right side of it, which looks like is says the word "BAR" in capital letters. Maybe it says "CAR" but there is certainly an "AR" at the end of it. On the left side is either letters or some design. I thought maybe it was for some type of traction bar, but maybe it was an actual bar like where you'd get drinks from, something my uncle wasn't opposed to.

Below are a few of the same picture with different filters to try and enhance number 9 and 11, which wasn't all that successful. When I get a new scanner I'll see if I can make a better copy than the rudimentary one above. Until then I've actually bought a few of the stickers you can see, but I haven't decided what to do with them. I might turn them into magnets and put them on the fridge in my garage, or I may even put them on the car itself before I do all the bodywork and have it painted. Since it's not the original paint I wouldn't feel bad about damaging it, and even if I did it's not in great shape anyway, and if I'm repainting it then it won't matter afterward. Still, I haven't decided whether to do that or not. What matters most to me is finding answers and honoring what I think my uncle would care about most.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Evidence of the stickers still exists on the front fender where they were removed and some took the paint with it. After that they were sprayed with black primer. The first picture is the #10 Mallory sticker, the second one the #12 Die Hard sticker, and the third picture shows numbers 8 and 9, the Accel and the unknown. You can almost read the Accel one.

Going through this now actually solved an answer for me that I wondered earlier, which is if the fender had been replaced. I had seen from the inside of the fender that it had minor repairs at one point, and the door opening doesn't line up well, and other parts had been hit also. But, when these stickers pulled the paint off they pulled off the top layer and exposed the original Fathom Green layer below. I suppose this could have been a junkyard fender off another green camaro, but it's probably the original.

Atmosphere Astronomical object Star Science Midnight

Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Galaxy Headlamp

Atmosphere Liquid Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I decided to reassemble most of the main parts of the front end for testing. Here's the original header panel finally back in place once again after over 40 years. I left off the hood latch, the endura bumper, some of the fasteners for the grille, the grille stiffener, the headlight trim, the turn signal covers, and of course the hood and hinges. After the test I'll reinstall more, I just want to hold off in case things need to come apart all over again. I also took the license plate bracket off because I don't want to bang my jack into it, and I might paint the valance. That and I kind of don't like the way it looks, the same way I don't like the way the front spoiler looks. License plate will get zip tied to the grille. The plan is to try and start it on thursday. I'm quite excited.

Vehicle Car Grille Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The header panel is the only remaining body panel that still has the original, untouched paint on the outside. Fortunately the interior including the trunk is still all original. If you look closely in the last photo I posted of the front end, you can see the remainder of the original stripes that is on the cowl. During the 1970-something repaint, they got some overspray on them but were halfway shielded by the part of the cowl hood that overlaps the cowl. Below you can see a modified version of the very first photo I posted in this thread, you can see the stripes on the cowl in their entirety.

Hood Gesture Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

The profile of both original stripes are also still visible on the trunk lid and upper rear body panel (whatever it's called) underneath the 1970's respray. At the very least they will serve as photo evidence as well as be a template for when the car gets repainted. If I hold off on having it repainted for more than a year I might even paint the stripes back on myself in the mean time just to see how it looks.

Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Rectangle Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The big day arrived! After some fiddling around with the plug wires, reinstalling the distributor, and some other messing around we were able to get the engine started. "Exciting" doesn't hardly describe it. The engine got ran for 20 minutes at 2,000 rpm to break in the cam, then we tried to adjust the timing and idle speed of the carburetor to limited success which I described below. It was sort of an emotional experience because I reached a major milestone in this project that has been maybe 40 years, and bittersweet because my uncle was not here to witness it. The last time this 302 ran was probably 1985, since I have pictures with manufacturing dates on them from August of '85 where it has been removed from the Z28. All in all a fun and memorable experience. The 302 is certainly much different than the 327 that was in the car previously. Totally different animal. Just driving it around the block I can see how these got wrapped around trees left and right back when they were new. I've had older cars before but nothing like this, God that 302 is loud and I already had one old lady give me a death stare just as I idled past her.

Anyway, I was able to drive the Z28 around the block but it was difficult for a couple reasons, first the power steering wasn't bled enough and it would go from manual steering to loose power steering and then the cap popped and sprayed out onto the windshield and engine bay. I wasn't able to bleed the lines earlier by spinning the pump, so now I'll have to jack up the front end later and try and bleed some more air out of the lines. That and I have some coolant leaks I need to address.

The second issue is that I need to adjust the clutch, or at least I was told that's the probably the problem. Sometimes it would not go into gear, especially when stopped. I'll need to lift the car up go through the clutch adjustment process. Someone on this site posted the process of how to do it. I hope it's just that and not something else. I adjusted the shift linkage on the transmission out of the car and it worked fine, and installed it together with the transmission and then used the line-up tool to make sure it was still adjusted properly when it was in the car.

Third issue is that we tried to adjust the idle speed on the Holley 3310 and it ended up jumping around, about 7-800 sometimes, tried to set it at 900, after turning it off and turning it back on it would go to 1200 or higher. Not sure what the deal is. I'll see if I can bring another friend over who has more experience with it and try to get the timing and idle speed dialed in better.

Also there may be a weak spark. I had put a new coil in it and it wouldn't start, then I swapped a used coil that I knew worked and it fired up, but the spark still seemed weak. Will have to investigate more. I'll probably swap out the distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and coil. The plug wires didn't fit well with three of the four distributor caps I had for some reason.

Another problem is none of the center console gauges work, except the oil pressure which is good psi. Unfortunately it's because they were stored or handled improperly and all the dials were bent.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Here's a short video of the first start. Not sure if there's a way to embed video here but I uploaded it to Youtube in the link below. I'm hoping to have a little bit of time tomorrow to work on some of the issues.

1969 Z28 302 First Start

Another thing I need to address soon are the tires. I have four Goodyear Eagles that were purchased in 1986 (I have the receipts) which one had an unfixable leak. They look okay even from a few feet away but there are cracks and the car sat flat on them while they were flat for years, which you can see in the very first post on this thread. The spare, which I needed so it could roll, is even worse, see below.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

This thing is straight up from the 1970's. Also visible in the first post I made on this thread. I guess these were okay rolling around the neighborhood when I was running the exhausted 327, but even just gingerly driving around the block with the 302 it felt like all these tires were about ready to commit seppuku. I'll just have to make that a priority to get a whole new set of tires. I'm leaning toward Cooper Cobras.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Edited to Add: All five of the rally wheels are YH stamped, I believe original.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Way to go. We all know that feeling when it starts after a rebuild. You must pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Remember the joys of owning a classic car is there is always something to tinker with to make it perfect. Keep next Spring as a target.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Way to go. We all know that feeling when it starts after a rebuild. You must pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Remember the joys of owning a classic car is there is always something to tinker with to make it perfect. Keep next Spring as a target.
Thank you. Even though I still have a lot to do just to get it roadworthy I feel accomplished. That is my goal for the rest of October, to be able to get it to drive consistently and normally around the neighborhood. Following that I'd like to try and enjoy it as it is for a little while without taking major things apart and having it sit for periods of time.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
After bleeding the power steering I needed to address some of the leaks that occurred during ths first startup. They weren't pouring but some weren't too far off. The worst leak by volume was the lower heater hose at the core. I made sure it wasn't leaking inside the car. I had tightened these down earlier and tried again but they were all the way tight. I realize these worm drive types aren't the best, but it's what I had and they had worked previously when the other engine was in (same hoses, same core, same clamps) and the hoses were new last year so I don't know what the issue is with them.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Another leak is where this plug is on the intake manifold. I had used some stainless plugs off Amazon, but of course they only kind of fit and somehow were NPT but not tapered. I had used Permatex with it but it still leaked.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Gas Automotive wheel system

I bought some Edelbrock plugs locally and replaced it. This one actually fits decently and tightens down. I used a water pump RTV sealant instead of Permatex.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas Automotive wheel system

While at the auto parts store I went ahead and bought bypass caps. Not shown are the hose clamps I put on afterward. This is temporary while I order stock-type hose clamps and probably a whole new set of hoses.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive fuel system Hood

I put a set on the heater core just to keep junk out of the core and keep coolant from sloshing out. No hose clamps.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

It's hard to see but there's a small leak on the fuel line for the rear bowl on the carb. It was worse before but still leaks slightly. It's because I used an OE style fuel line that was made for a Holley with two metering blocks. The 3310 I have on it now only has one on the primary. I cut the fuel line and put a double flare on it, and it had to be bent a bit to get into position. It's tightened down all the way and still leaks. I'll try to back it off and try again.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim Gas
Gas Automotive tire Nickel Rim Auto part

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The other leak I have is at the thermostat housing where it meets the intake manifold. Admittedly I had done a kind of sloppy quick job the first time. If I have time tomorrow I'll try to pull it off and try again.

An issue I was able to correct was the clutch. The other day when I started the Z28 it would not go into gear except when I was rolling down the driveway. I ended up doing the clutch adjustment procedure and now it goes into all gears, no grinding, and I was able to drive it forward and backward. Unfortunately the leaks prevented me from going back around the block again. I set the idle speed to back around 900rpm (it was jumping around the first day) and will need to set the timing later on.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I injured my hand and I'm not really able to work on some of the engine parts at the moment so I'm trying to work on some of the things that don't require skilled dexterity. I needed tires so I decided to just go ahead and buy them. Probably a good thing to do now before the supply issues get even worse. I had to look around and only one place in my area (major city) had all four tires in stock.

First I sprayed down the wheels with engine degreaser and scrubbed with a bush and a scotch brite pad. I also used simple green and some wheel cleaner that smells like bubblegum. I got them somewhat clean, as much as I can expect to do with a screwed up hand.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

I went with Cooper Cobras, 235/60R15. White letters out. They look great. As much as I'd love to have kept the Goodyear Eagles from 1987 that my uncle bought, especially since they still had a lot of tread still on them, it's just so dangerous to drive on 36-year-old tires. Those were 245's and I don't believe they rubbed except maybe at full lock certain hard turns, so the 235's should be just fine.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

One of the center parts of the center caps may be new(er) but most of the rest seems older. Not sure which if any are original. Some have small dents and scuffs which I'm fine with. I have another set or two in storage, one might be NOS I'll have to check.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I had a whole huge bag of brand new lug nuts so I replaced all 20. The old ones went back into storage.

Automotive tire Gas Body jewelry Pollution Auto part

This loose tire is something that came with the car. I first was going to buy three more to match but apparently they're crazy expensive, nearly three times the price of one Cooper Cobra! Yeah, no thanks. I was considering mounting it on a rim and using it as the spare. I kept the really old Goodyear Radial GT from the 1970's as a memento but it's still mounted to the fifth original YH rim. I'll probably get a reproduction rally rim and mount this to it. Unfortunately it looks like it's 12 years old if I'm reading the date code correctly, which makes sense because most of the parts I got with the car were purchased between 2010 and 2013. Seeing as how spare tires rarely get used, it'll be even older before I might end up using it. I'll clean it up and decide later.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I had a lot of random things in the trunk and decided to clean it out. There was a trunk mat inside, almost certainly a reproduction, and I hated it because it was sticky for some reason. Not sure if it was cleaned with a weird cleaner before or just degrading from time.

The sheet metal is in great shape, no surprise since it's been a southern CA car, but there was some surface rust in the lowest portions of the stampings. I used CLR and scotch brite pads to get the rust off and then used a small brush and rust converter primer to cover the bare metal. Overall this is a well-used trunk, probably didn't have a trunk mat until "recently" and things wore down the finish inside.

Wood Grey Black-and-white Water Tints and shades

A small dent near the rear passenger sidemarker. It actually pushed in the end of the bumper about a half inch or more. Had been repaired using the drill-and-pull method with bondo many years ago, after the 1970's respray.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Motor vehicle Asphalt

Both of these plates were loose, the body sealant long ago dried and cracked. I chipped it off and used RTV to glue them back down.
Helmet Automotive tire Gesture Wood Gas

The original paint in the trunk and what are probably the original decals. Probably rare to see such a time capsule these days when everything has been blasted and sprayed several times over.

Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Grille Bumper

The Endura bumper jack bracket. A rare bird it appears.
Hand Hood Tool Finger Pneumatic tool

I ended up pulling everything out, vacuuming and then washing the trunk with soap and hot water, then washed the trunk mat with interior cleaner and hand wipes. It got 95% of the stickiness off. We'll see if it comes back. I reinstalled the mat and then put the spare tire in. I ended up buying a new rally wheel and a local shop charged me $20 to mount the Goodyear to it, which included a valve stem and balance it with weights. I think that was extremely fair. I had spent a lot of time cleaning the tire, the blue protective coating had dried on it and didn't want to come off. I put a trim ring on the rim. It may be 12 years old but it's still in really good shape, no cracks or anything and since I'll only be driving around town this would be to just get home from a few miles away anyway. I tried to use the hold-down hook but since there is a rear strut brace (unseen) it won't work and just has to sit loose. I put the jack parts and some repair stuff in an ammo can my uncle once owned and keep a small set of tools next to it.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Car

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Here’s the Hotchkis shock tower brace. It came with the spare parts when I got the car. Since I’m not racing the car, especially not around corners, I probably won’t end up using it to its full advantage, if there even is one with otherwise stock suspension. I may even end up taking it off, especially since it seems to interfere with the spare tire. My uncle bought it because he thought it was important, so I thought I’d at least put it on and try it out. I know it might sound weird, especially regarding something as mundane as an aftermarket suspension part, but going through these things helps give me closure on the untimely death of my uncle, since I was never able to discuss these things with him, and it helps me better understand what his plans were with the Z28. Growing up I heard stories about it back in its heyday, and even that I don’t know everything, but there is a missing story between the 1980’s and 2021 that I’m trying to piece together.

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Wood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
I have the Hotchkis shock tower brace on my car. It made a noticeable difference in handling, even though I don't track race the car. Keep it If you can.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I have the Hotchkis shock tower brace on my car. It made a noticeable difference in handling, even though I don't track race the car. Keep it If you can.
I'll keep it for a while and see how it goes. Haven't done much driving with either engine, only around the neighborhood, though I took it up and down a steep hill with a couple sharp turns and it felt alright, even with bad tires and needing suspension work in general, which I'll hopefully get to by early next year.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,409 Posts
The trunk cleaned up nice. Excellent condition as it appears very original. The mat might be too. They were included with deluxe interiors, originally. The sticky substance is common from old rubber breaking down, I guess. Did you see any numbers? Here are some photos of factory mats....Trunk Mat original? | Team Camaro Tech (camaros.net)

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,409 Posts
A couple notes on your engine leaks; Check the thermostat housing for flatness with a straight edge as they warp easily from over tightening, especially if using a thick gasket. They can be straightened with a large flat file fairly easy. Also check for cracks around the ears. Coat the surfaces sparingly with RTV.

I'd use teflon tape on the manifold plugs. Check the heater core nipples to make sure they're not deformed. A standard hose clamp like you're using should work fine. Do not overtighten.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts