Team Camaro Tech banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The trunk cleaned up nice. Excellent condition as it appears very original. The mat might be too. They were included with deluxe interiors, originally. The sticky substance is common from old rubber breaking down, I guess. Did you see any numbers? Here are some photos of factory mats....Trunk Mat original? | Team Camaro Tech (camaros.net)
Thank you. The mat looks like a much newer product, I didn’t see any markings but I’ll go back and have a look.

A couple notes on your engine leaks; Check the thermostat housing for flatness with a straight edge as they warp easily from over tightening, especially if using a thick gasket. They can be straightened with a large flat file fairly easy. Also check for cracks around the ears. Coat the surfaces sparingly with RTV.

I'd use teflon tape on the manifold plugs. Check the heater core nipples to make sure they're not deformed. A standard hose clamp like you're using should work fine. Do not overtighten.
I used a flat file to make sure it was flat. I think the problem is that I put the gasket on first and then the thermostat and it didn’t seat right, and when I pulled it off and stuck it back down it wasn’t good still. I ended up taking it all off, cleaning all the RTV off and used a Mr Gasket with a silicone ring. The last time I started it up it didn’t leak but I didn’t have it running for very long because I have a gas leak I’m still dealing with and waiting on parts for. That’s pretty much the final (known) hurdle before I can adjust the timing and actually get in it and drive somewhere. No leaks from the new manifold plug I installed, which I used RTV on.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Haven’t been able to drive the car again, it won’t start and backfires badly through the carb while trying to start. It’s probably timing being way off. Before even beginning to address that I have to keep it from leaking fuel everywhere. I’m on my 4th set of fuel lines, this time with a fuel pressure gauge to see what kind of pressure is going on. I also bought some copper gaskets, hopefully to stop the leaks I had primarily from the secondary. If those don’t solve it I’m going to be quite annoyed and all the uncooperative parts will start finding themselves at the mercy of my 5-year-old who loves to dismantle things. In the meantime I have a spare Holley 6619 that may have been cobbled together with different parts but I know works decently enough, I might have to clean it up and put on some gaskets, that’s my next option. It was on the 327 and drove with it when I got it, and apparently was on the 302 at some point in the past according to records, so maybe I’ll have to give it another try if the 3310 decides to continue haunting me indefinitely.

Watch Hand Finger Wrist Gauge
Silver Household hardware Gas Jewellery Circle
Finger Thumb Fashion accessory Terrestrial animal Nail

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The fuel pressure reading was almost 9psi, and that was just cranking off the starter, which I assume is higher when actually running. I tried a higher quality gauge and it shows even higher than 9psi. Very disappointing that the fuel pump isn’t working properly, and it’s supposed to be a correct model AC Delco. Not only that but I cannot get it to stop leaking gas either even with copper gaskets. I'm very disappointed in myself for the lack of progress. I still haven't been able to start it up again and every time I attempt to I find yet another problem I didn't know before, and it's this circular catch-22 where I can't start the car because too many things need adjustment, and I can't adjust them because the car won't run. Now I finally understand why these cars (including this one) end up sitting untouched for decades.

The upcoming plan I have is to lift up the front end, pull off the crank pulley and attach a bracket to the harmonic balancer so I can turn the engine back to TDC. Distributor, coil and plug wires will come out. I have a brand new HEI distributor, coil and silicone plug wire set that I got off ebay which may be a mistake. I have a Carter fuel pump on order and a new fuel pump rod, both will get swapped, and yet another fuel line and some fittings. No more flare nuts except the carb fuel rail if it doesn't leak, and if it does I'll throw all the fuel lines in the trash and move to AN fittings.

Watch Motor vehicle Clock Measuring instrument Watch accessory

·
Registered
1969 Z28
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Been busy lately but had some time today to work on a few things. I’m going to try and kill several birds with one stone, had to take the valve cover off to see the rocker arms to set TDC, since I’m swapping out the distributor, and need to change out the valve cover gasket since the current one was leaking.

Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

The new Carter fuel pump and rod. Going to use braided fuel line instead of hard line with flare nuts. Even with cooper gaskets it still leaks. I’ve swapped fuel lines so many times I’ve lost count, and patience.

Material property Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Metal

The replacement distributor and coil. Also came with silicone plug wires. We’ll see how well it works.
Hood Fluid Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

I got this handy crank rotation adaptor that you dont have to remove the balancer bolt for. It came with the spare parts and tools that came with the car. Highly recommended.
Hood Automotive design Rim Metal Auto part

I need to do more research, I have two power steering belts that came with the spare parts but neither fit for some reason, despite the stock (and original) setup and that they were both designed for this application. However, the belt that was on the 327 fit perfectly, despite being at least 37 years old is still in pretty serviceable condition. I need to see if I can find this manufacturer and model, maybe they still make this one. If not I’ll have to go back to the auto parts store and see if they have a size that fits. I did that with the main belt, the store was nice enough to let me paw through their inventory, and I was able to find a random one that fit.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Tread

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
what a great project you have!
I haven’t seen copper washers used with that dual feed line before. There have always been cheap, and quality versions of that chrome line. I think if you source a better one, you won’t have the leaks.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts