Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My alternator seems to have taken a crap on me. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement. My car is a 1969 Z28 with the original 302, the original alternator is long gone so I am not stuck on finding an 1100837 plus they are super expensive...

I have read people opting for an internally regulated alt to eliminate the voltage regulator but not sure I want to go that route...

Anyway any suggestions appreciated.

FYI, I decided that Alt was bad by charging the battery fully overnight, testing the voltage and then starting the car, amp meter in the vehicle reads ZERO or negative no matter the RPM and the battery voltage dips oppose to rising when the car is running. Based on that could it be the regulator or battery?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick follow up question. I do not think the current alternator has the deep grove pulley. Is this something that I should look for on a replacement, do replacements even have this as an option, do I really need it for anything other than looks\originality?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Any good parts house should have a replacement 'rebuilt' for a reasonable price.
I'd just buy a replacement/'rebuilt' unit to replace and consider a 'numbers' unit in the future if wanted.
I often pay @$10 for a DN series alt. at the Pick-N-Pull places ...

Jerry MacNeish (http://z28camaro.com/wp/restoration-services/) and other vendors offer services to restore an original to like new condition.
While not cheap, they are worth it for a 'numbers' vehicles.
They also offer 'replacements' that can be date correct for more $$$'

Of course, if you're at all mechanically inclined, you can tear it down yourself and do it using readily available published materials and guides ;)

(edit) 'Deep' pulleys are readily available through the normal 'repopper' dealers and even Summit.
I doubt you're gonna find a "replacement" with a 'deep' pulley specified without some added $$$ involved ... unless you spec. a truck or boat application that included them also ;)

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
First, put a volt meter on the battery while the car is running.
If it is under 13 volts, then jump the 1 and 3 wires (I think that is correct, but do some research to make sure) at the regulator. Now put the volt meter back on the battery.

If voltage is still below 13, your alt is bad.

If it goes way up, then the alt is good, and regulator is bad.

If Alt is bad most likely just needs brushes. Easy to repair yourself.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Alternators are cheap. You can find one on ebay or even Auto Zone. I would convert it to a one wire if I were you.

Good to see another Corona member on the board.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You can do what I did, find an old school rebuilder, they can put internals from a 70-90 amp into your case. Looks and mounts original, but puts out more juice with an external regulator. I think mine was a little over $100.
I did this also just beware if they build it with higher amps it can burn up the old regulator.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had the same problem with my battery not recharging and my GEN light being on. Mine turned out to be the voltage regulator.

My car had the mechanical voltage regulator, after doing some reading alot of threads said to switch to a solid state VR715 voltage regulator. After installing the new solid state VR my battery was getting 14.4v and the GEN light went off.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy update today, not sure what the problem is yet but I am ecstatic to find out that my alternator seems to be the original. PO told me it was not so I just assumed it was a replacement but when I took it off today it is an 1100837 and the date code 9A14 lines up perfect with the rest of the dates on the car. Off to get the apt tested now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
it is an 1100837 and the date code 9A14 lines up perfect with the rest of the dates on the car.
Outstanding! :thumbsup: They can be rebuilt..... I think NAPA carries the parts. Whatever you do, don't turn that one in for a core if you decide it is bad. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
And don't put a 1-wire on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts