Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a quick ratio p/s unit in my '69 Z28 this past weekend. I haven't had any problems with the belt coming off, but I may because it doesn't look like a deep groove pulley on the pump. I've looked in the '69 parts for sale area but didn't see any. Does anyone know of someone that has a deep groove pulley for a p/s pump for sale? They can email me at [email protected]
Thanks, Donnie...

·
10,147 Posts
I bought a repro 69 Z/28 PS pulley. The number stamped on it is 3941105. It is stamped steel deep groove. My buddy bought one at the same time and has his running allready on a 69 Z/28, so I know it works.
Check my web page for photos and info on steering parts like this.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
797 Posts
Donnie,
glad to hear that you got your power steering up and running.. So, how does it feel? How many turns lock to lock? Do you have an overall better road feel? Remind me where you got the P/S box.. Was it a GM from a third gen F body or AGR or other aftermarket?

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David, Where did you and your friend buy your pulley and how much did it cost? Rick's has one for $89 and they said it was about 5 1/2" in diameter and the groove is about 1/2" wide. The one I have now is about the same width as the belt which looks to be about 3/8" wide. Is the diameter the same on all the steering pump pulley's but the groove is a different width? The belt looks like it's slightly rubbing the bottom of the pulley on the water pump. Maybe if I get the deep groove pulley for the steering pump it may clear it more because the belt will sit down a little lower. Thanks, Donnie...

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Donnie -

Just measured my 3941105 pulley, and it's 5-3/4" in diameter, and 3/4" outside-to-outside across the pulley groove. There were only three P/S pulleys for '69 V-8's; one for Z/28 and L-78 (3941105), one for use with A/C (3941107 - two grooves), and one for all the rest (3770509). The part numbers are stamped in an arc on the front of the pulleys.

Don't understand about your P/S belt rubbing the bottom of the water pump pulley - the front edge of your P/S belt should clear the back side of the water pump pulley by about 1/4"-5/32", and the top edge of the P/S belt does run inside the O.D. of the water pump pulley for about an inch (at about the 5 o'clock position looking from the front), but behind it by about 1/4" or so.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 5 of 5 Posts