Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad and I are working on a 69 Z and put a 0010 350 ci. engine in it out of a 1975 GMC pickup (we weren't ready to work on the original DZ block yet.) The pickup had HEI electronic ignition (forgive me if I'm wrong about initals etc., I'm 15 and learning.) I wanted to know if the signal from the coil to the tach on an original setup is the same as the signal coming from the tach connection on the electronic ignition. I don't want to fry the original tach so just hooking it up isn't the answer. Any helps or hints are greatly appreciated.

------------------
Joel

·
Registered
305 Posts
Joel- better to ask than to fry something!! Good question!
The tach lead is the brown wire, and if you put on a female spade connector end onto the wire, and plug it into the tach lead on the HEI distibutor it will work as original.
Now, for more info than you asked for, be sure not to just use the original coil wire for the HEI power lead. This is the wire with the fabric cover on it. This is a special ni-chrome resistane wire to limit voltage to the coil. It will not supply enough voltage for the HEI to work right. You must either run a seperate lead from the ignition switch, or change the wire in the harness. Either way use at least 12 gauge wire. If you need more info, be sure to ask!!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
You can change just the resistor wire from the firewall connector up to the coil. The wire from the ignition switch to the connector is a pink, 12 ga wire.

Larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts