Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look at a 70 camaro being advertised as a z28. Couldn't find a vin, (the dash was covered), and didn't see z28 on the cowl tag. The body looked more like a first generation. It does have a 12 bolt rear end, a four speed muncie, and what looks like a 350 (although the sticker displayed is for a 305, which I didn't think camaros had in 70). Also, there is no back seat, the body comes all the way to the back of the front. I know I'm not helping by not having the numbers available, but I'm hoping somebody can help out anyways. I'm considering passing on this, especially since the owner is being a pain, and doesn't seem to know much at all about his own car, but for $4500, I don't want to pass if its he says it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's a bunch of inconsistancies with this one.

The second generation Camaros never had a convertible as a factory option...having said that there are a very few (maybe less than a dozen) late second generation Camaros that were converted to a convertible by a company (the name escapes me) in California. These are rare indeed. These were for the most part '81 Z's and may have indeed had the 305 engine coupled to a Borg Warner Super T-10 four speed. The 350 was not available as an option coupled with the T-10 in '81...unless it was a Camaro destined for the Canadian market (speedo would read Km/hr instead of mph).

I know of no '70 to have gone through the convertible conversion...not saying someone didn't have it done, but there was never a factory convertible option for the second gens. Unless this is one of those rare second generation convertible conversions (and the owner can prove it with documentation) I think I'd walk away from it...but that's just one guys opinion.

QuikZ

------------------
'69 Sport Coupe, '81 Z28, '91 RS, and looking for the fourth..
Please check out my site---> http://www.inccn.net/ the Indiana Classic Car Network

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are a number of 70 Camaros that carried the 69 body style. The factory could not meet the deadlines to get the second generation style out so they used the first generation instead. If this car your looking at is a 70 Z28 ragtop with the 69 body style it is worth alot. It sounds alittle fishy though due to the 305 sticker on the radiator shield. Could have a replaced motor or just a different shield. You should check into getting the #'s of the vin tag and cowl. Post those and we can help you out.

------------------
1966 SS Chevelle LS-7,4-speed
1971 RS Camaro 402,4-speed

·
Registered
144 Posts
They did in fact continue 1st Gen body style production beyond the normal new model intro. That's why they sometimes refer to the first batch of 2nd gen cars as '70 1/2 models (much like the '64 1/2 Mustang).

However, the fact remains that even if it IS a '69 body style/'70 model year vehicle, NO z/28 CONVERTIBLES were released to the public (I've heard unconfirmed stories of one being built for some GM honcho but even IF it was true that wouldn't be an issue to us mere mortals). Also no automatics, no AC, and NO 305s. A '69 Z/28 has a 302...PERIOD. a '70 1/2 would have an LT1 350...NOTHING ELSE.

Sounds like way too many inconsistencies with this car. If it's a solid car I might consider it on its' own merits as a good starting point for a street machine/driver ... but a Z/28? Doesn't seem likely. Just my humble opinion.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400

·
Registered
294 Posts
The owner isn't George Barris is it?

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info and input. Since it seemed to me that the owner was trying to talk a lot of bull and didn't want to reveal the vin, I think I'll walk away from this one and keep looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts