Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I usually hang out over at Team Chevelle(see my 70 elky in my sig)
But i'm looking for info on late 80's camaros(i'm helping my girlfriend get one)

I would like to know the basic differences between the RS/Z28/IROC Z28's from 1987-1992

What engines were offered? Hp ratings? Were these all Fuel Injected engines?

If there is a good website out there with this info on it already, could someone post a link, or maybe someone could just post a quick summery...

Thanks!

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Registered
980 Posts
RS Came in either a v6, or a 305. Not sure if they ever put a 350 in the RS. Came with TBI (not sure if they ever came through with TPI)

IROC's basically took over the Z28 name and they came in 305's and 350's, but if it had T-Tops, it was sure to have a 305 in it from the factory. (These were all TPI's)

I believe the IROC's and Z28's had a little more of a tuned suspension and steering setup. Other than that, there are probably just a few cosmetic differences on the inside and out.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
10,164 Posts
I had an 85 Z/28, and an 89 IROC. IROC has the 16" wheels, and stiffer sway bars.
There was a 305 with TBI, available in a non-Z/28, the Z/28 and iroc had the same engines, IROC gives you the suspension package with 16" wheels.
In 89, the 350TPI engine became an option in addition to the 302 TPI, the 350TPI was only available with auto trans, the five speed can't handle the extra twenty pounds torque.
There was also a dual-cat option that came out in 89, I had that one, it required ordering the performance axle ratio with IROC 350TPI automatic to get the dual cats.

I think the HP was 245 with the duals, maybe 230 or so with single cat 350. The 305TPI was 20 or so hp less than the single cat 350.
In 88 the auto trans got beefed up for the second time, I'd look for an 88 or newer IROC if possible. A Z/28 second choice.
Chevy lost the IROC name around 91 or 92, Z/28 was it after that, till the SS came out.

89 was the first year for the 9 bolt Borg Warner rear axle made in Austrailia. It is hard to get parts for. Other years will swap in. I think GM switched back to std rear axle in 91 or so. They still used the std axle in lower perf Camaros and Firebirds in 88-91.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 10-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 10-16-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.