Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 1987 Camaro, and the oxygen sensor is screwed into the exhaust pipe and has an approx. 3-4 inch wire that has a plastic connector on the end. Somehow, this was disconnected from wherever it connects, but we are unable to find where it connects, either to the engine or to a wire harness. Can anybody let me know where this should be connected?? If anybody has any pictures, that would be great! Thank you for any help you can give me.

Shane

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The O2 sensor connects to the ECM. The ECM is located inside the car behind the passengers right kick panel below the dash (me thinks). There is a rather larger wiring harness that passes through the firewall on the passengers side to connecto to all the various sensors and servos - including the O2 sensor.

Is there any chance that the previous owner transplanted a non ECM engine it it? Do you have fuel injectors and a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor? If so, the O2 sensor should be connected.

You probably should get your hands on a schematic for your engine. Try the http://www.thirdgen.org site to see what treasures you can find there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again, before i forgot to ask if the oxygen sensor being unplugged could cause stalling? I will let the car run for a few minutes then just stalls, and then it won't start for about 3-4 minutes. Can anybody help me figure this out? I would really appreciate it a lot.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
The wire harness connector fo rthe O2 sensor should be of the same color as the lead on the sensor, I believe. A single wire connector as GM uses a single wire sensor.

This sensor being unplugged probably won't be the culprit of the engine not running for after 3-4 minutes, but one never knows. I believe if the sensor is unplugged, ECM goes to default value and contines running.

I would check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is still working after time. Whether you have a TBI unit, TPI set-up, there is a Schrader valve to check pressure, the valve looks just like the tire valve stem. After the engine quits, remove the cap and press the valve, if fuel comes out squirting, then the fuel pump is still working. If fuel dribbles out or less, either the fuel pump itself is bad and/or the fue;l pump relay has burned contacts internally and relay needs replacing. Its located by the driver's hood hinge, a black box plugging into a socket. Also, a plugged fuel filter will give trhe same results.

If you don't find any treasures at www.thirdgen.org, get a Haynes manual from the local auto parts store for the car/model and read up. Its better than nothing.

Another clue, listen by the tank for a hum when the ign key is turned to IGN, pump runs for 2-3 seconds. After engine quits, listen for the fuel pump hum again, hum not there, either bad fuel pump or bad relay. Check f/pressure valve again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts