Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Iroc Z28 with the 305 TPI engine,which has been rebuilt within the last 30,000 miles.It had sat for a while without being driven,and then I decided to get it going again,the problem I am having,is it will crank fine when the engine is cool,but once it gets warmed up,it does not want to start again,and seems to drain the battery down easily.Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this is,and/or how to fix it?I am capable of doing it myself,but just have no idea what to do,or replace on the car.The alternator and battery both are new,as well as the starter.Any help anyone can give me is appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The first thing to check is the alt belt. You can feel of the tension on the belt and it may feel fine. The real test on an alt belt is with the engine off grab the pulley on the alt firmly by the fins and try to turn it (slip the belt). Strain hard and if you can turn it (slip the belt) and not turn the engine the belt is to loose.

If this is the problem you will need to slow charge the battery as to build the gravity level up so it will hold the charge longer.

Even though the starter is fresh, after doing the other stuff and you still have problems, get a draw test done on the battery, and starter just to be sure. I have wasted a lot of time thinking a new part is good.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts