Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what in the heck does this mean? my security dummy lighton my dash keeps popping on! what does this mean? what security features does my 89 rs even have? please help!:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
You have a VATS ( Vehicle Anti-theft System) in that car. Most times the contacts in the ignition a dirty or the chip on the key is bad. Go to a locksmith and have them check the frequency of the chip and cut you a new key. I also sugest that you clean the contacts using contact cleaner on a q-tip.

Kev

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried cleaning but no good. it helped though the light does still randomly flash. will any locksmith do it? or just gm. is it expensive to get the frequency checked, and is the key itself expensive? im looking for a price range here
thanks sixtyate
youve been really helpful -alex

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Alex...
The locksmith just places the key in a reader and it tells them the code number. Then they get a blank key with that code and cut to match your. I would say about $10.00 ballpark total at most locksmiths. You do not have to go to a gm dealer however I don't think WAllymart will have the proper tools to decode the key and have the proper key blank.

Kev

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
Its probably the key tumbler/socket in the steering column is making intermitent contact with the key resistor.

Replacement tumbler requires steering wheel removal. Dealership requires ownership proof of the car.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
use a multimeter to find out the resistance in the key chip...go to radio shack and buy a resistor of said value...look on the steering column for two thin white wires...they come from the ign tumbler...cut them and install each end of the resistor to a wire, and tape them off...but everett has the correct fix..probably easier too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts