Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's some backstory before i get to the problem.
-------------------------------
What i have done to the car:
  • new spark plugs and wires
  • new O2 sensors
  • new EGR valve
  • new IAC valve
  • new TPS
  • K&N FIPK Intake
  • Flowmaster Natural 44 series muffler
  • new PCV
  • new water pump
  • recent oil change

now that that's out of the way, my problem is that when i'm driving, the car has no problem getting through first gear, but once i get into second the engine will bog down and wont get past 3000rpm. i'll floor it and nothing will change, it will just sputter and try to stall. i'm getting OBD error codes 43 (i believe that's the knock sensor) and 77 (i think that's the cooling fan control relay circuit). i have no idea what those would have to do with the symptoms i'm experiencing, but every time i drive and the SES light comes on, those are the codes it gives me. i only noticed the problem recently after replacing the O2 sensors and spark plugs/wires, so unless anyone else has another idea i'll probably start by checking those to make sure i didn't jack something up.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here's an update on the situation, just in case anyone else has the same problem and can't find an answer. i took out my o2 sensors to see if they were the actual problem, and while driving around i still had the same symptoms. because of this, i'm going to assume that my problem is the catalytic converter is clogged up. so i'm gonna take the $300 risk of buying a high flow cat and putting that on. I'll report as to what happens.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Sorry I did not see this sooner (don't look through 3rd, 4th, 5th ... gen forums very often).

:yes: Cat systems on these early/mid-90's vehicles are at the end of their life-cycles and most likely plugged.
I recently went through this on a 90's Oldsmobile (try to find parts for these :() and was able to order the cat from Summit.
If you haven't found yours yet try them, prices are very good for MagnaFlow replacement units :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts