Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a 1994 v6 camaro that makes a popping noise going up any hill when i increase speed.
The rpms stay the same so my guess is that the tranny is good.
If i give it more gas the over drive kicks in and it does better but the popping sound gets quieter and faster.
the guy before me said he redid the camshaft and gaskets, my guess it the fire order is off or bad compression.
also my catalytic converter is backed up could that be the problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had this problem with my truck...ok not a camaro but it didn't like ANY load on the motor.
A tune up was all it needed. The cars with computers seem to be a lot less forgiving then the non comp cars were.
If you are going to do a tune up yourself, get a good pair of mechanix type gloves. I did plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets and replaced 1 coil on my 99 V-6 Camaro and it ate my lunch. My hands looked like I stuck them in a meat grinder. Lots of heat shield and such to cut you up.
You can always put the car somewhere it is dark and turn it on and see if the plug wires are arching.
I was always told that steady missing is usually plugs, intermitent is usually ignition, just a rule of thumb.
Popping out of the tailpipie, or more through the intake?
I hope others here will help out, popping...rocker arms too tight? Did the fellow you got it from drive it much after the cam work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i bunch
i thought it would be something rather easy seeing that the check engine light wasn't on.
the popping is more out of the tailpipe.
he had the camshaft done less then 1k miles ago.
ill be doing the tune up on Wednesday and ill make a post of how things went

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
welcome to team camaro!! as jeff mentioned it sounds like your wires are bad!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it runs GREAT now thanks for the help.
i took her out for a drive right after to test it out. after the drive i get home and ten minutes later there's radiator fluid all over the ground.
looks like a hose gone missing.
i hope to find out which one i need then I'm set to go on my vacation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad its running better....what is the source of coolant leak?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i took the van over to advance auto and showed them pics of what was missing.
I guess a cap came off.
I found one is the store for only $3 and now she's like brand new.
I'm glad i stopped here and asked before i went ahead and paid the dealer $88 to look her over.
thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Free advice GREAT!
Fixin it yourself for $3.00....priceless +$3.00

1 - 8 of 8 Posts