Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im a female looking for answers. I have a 1995 z28 it has just started leaking oil. Have changed the valve cover gaskets changed oil filter checked drain plug. Also checked the pcvthing and it sucks good. I noticed that my dip stick is loose and the top plastic piece is broke so it doesnt seal right, my ex told me that wouldnt matter because oil cant come up and out of the dip stick is that true?:)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Engines can leak oil from about everywhere. It can come out of the tube, but is unlikely as it would take a bunch of crankcase pressure that your engine is not going to develop. More than likely you have a timing cover leak at the front seal, or the pan gasket, or the rear main seal. Most likely places.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If the rings are worn you could have a lot of blow-by. I've seen that actually blow out the dipstick in the worst cases. Blow-by isn't uncommon if your motor has high mileage, an improper rebuild, broken piston, broken rings etc. In any event, I'd replace the broken dipstick. If you're suspicious of blow-by, take the oil cap off and see if you can feel air puffing out of the hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts