Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf called me one day and told me the camaro wouldnt run. The next day i went to go look at it and the first thing i did was hop in it and try to start it. It was completely dead. The only that happened was that the BCM was making a clicking noise. The only time the clicking noise stopped was when the key was turned over. It would also get lighter when i messed with the headlights switch. I then run jumper cables to the car and i would get her to crank and she would run about 2 seconds and then shut off even with the jumper cables still hooked up. I cranked her a few times and everytime i got the same results. The only time i got her to run a little longer was when i was reving the engine but right after let off the gas she would shut off. The day before there was a loud noise coming from the rear of the car and i was told it was the fuel pump. The day this happened the noise wasnt as loud as the day before but it was still there. Aslo when i messed with the headlight switch the intensity of the noise would change for a second. The theories ive been told are: the fuel pump could have gone out.... It could be the alternator..... it could be the crank shaft sensor..... or it could be an electical problem. She is my first car and i payed for her myself so i have got very attached to her and i really want to get her fixed. I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
First, I would take the battery out and externally charge it for a couple days.
If a new type charger is used, set the charger on 10 AMPS let charge until the 'CHARGE' light comes on, then let the battery charge on 2 AMP setting for a 24 hour period.
Do not set the battery on concrete, place the battery on wood to isolate it from the floor.

The noise you may be hearing could be a bad bearing in the alt and fiddling with the headlamp switch would be placing a load on the alt thus the bearing noise. Or a slipping belt due to the heavy load, discharged battery and accessory power demanded.

The fuel pump should hum for 2-3 seconds when the ign key is turned to IGN as controlled by the PCM. Fuel pump relay may need swapping out as the contacts may be burnt.

Spark plugs may need removed and dried out if wet with fuel. With cold coolant, the PCM will go into 'choke mode' and fuel like no tomorrow. If engine does not keep running, plugs become wet with fuel and will not work. You may need to hold pedal to the floor to clear out a flood condition.

Getting a Haynes manual will help with the Camaro, Amazon.com, RockAuto.com, or your local parts store.

Welcome, Lone Wolf.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Another big thing that totally slipped my mind is that I had flushed the radiator out earlier and put new coolant in the radiator. Maybe this has something to do with the car dieing on me.

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
Certainly can as the PCM coolant sensor is sensing air temp vice coolant temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have put a new alternator, new battery, new fuel filter, and I know the fuel is running all the way to the engine because I pushed the gas valve near the engine and fuel came squirting out but still no luck. She is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You would need to get fuel pressure gage and attach it to the spot on the fuel rail and see what you have as you try to start the car. You may have a bad fuel pump, as the car gos to start the pump might be giving out. If its the original pump and you have quite a few miles on here its probably time for the new pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts