Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I posted about a month ago, asking if it would be possible to swap a 1996 caprice trans into a 1996 camaro. I was advised that the transmission is the same, i just have to change the tailshaft housing, and I should be all set. I completed the swap out this past weekend and still had a couple of questions. When I took my old trans out, the front pump said "PWM" on it which refers to the fact that the trans is a PWM trans with a TCC PWM solenoid. When I pulled the pan from the caprice trans, I was shocked to see that the valve body was missing one solenoid. I realized very quickly that the trans that the guy had sold me was a 95 4l60e, not a 96. Well, I did some investigating and found that the valleys and passagways in the actual tranmission casting were the same, the valve bodys and electrical cable were different. I swapped the 96 valve body, shift plate, and electrical harness into the 95 trans and everything seem to bolt up fine. The transmission rides smooth and shifts great. My QUESTION was, upon looking at the pump from the 95 trans, which I just left in, I did not see the marking "PWM" on it. So now Im worried. Even though everything is working fine, is this a problem. There are no codes being thrown and the check engine light is NOT on. I was told that the 95 caprice transmission pumps were PWM, but the valve body just did not have a solenoid for it. I dunno. Can anyone explain exactly what problems I would be experiencing if the unit was not working right? Is this a problem for me in the long run? Or is the 95 trans fine now that I swapped the 96 valve body (with pwm solenoid), harness, and plate into it?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts