Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 camaro's driver door was sagging. I replaced it with another hinge from another car that was not camaro but was a chevy hinge bracket that looked almost identical. the spring was a little shorter. However it did bolt up fine and closed smoothley but the door did not shut. It sags WAY more than when the bad original camaro hinge was on their. But like i said still no creaking sound. The hinge i took off the other car was good because the other car shut perfectly like a charm. i saw that their was a spacer on the old door so i installed the hinge with the spacer.. still no luck. the door was not cracked either. i ended up buying a whole new door at a junk yard from a camaro and installed it on my car. the hinge was bad but it shuts a little but still sags. on the camaro it came off of (a 95) it opened and closed with no problem BUT did make an aweful popping sound. but no sagging. when i installed it on my camaro like i said it still does not align right. their was a spacer also on this door. when i installed the passenger door there was no problem at all. smooth as silk and shuts perfect. Why is this happening to me? how can i fix it? ALSO, the body has no cracks in it.

·
Super Moderator
32,898 Posts
Does the new door where the hinge bolts upon, look like the original door, same shape?
Maybe remove the door and round file the top holes toward the front to bring the door up.
Only after you check ensuring the hinge bushings and pins are not worn out on both top & bottom hinge.
Maybe the spacer should go against the door and bottom hinge to push up the door?
Picture(s)?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much Everett. But I got it now. I did not align the bolts onto the white part where the bolts were taken off. The part where it was aligned before. Now it's not sagging. I also got another hinge from the junk yard that interchanged. Thanks again. I love it when people help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts