Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fluid in my radiator on my 1998 3.8 camaro and when i put the new fluid in the radiator it stays in. however, online the the amount it says it takes is 2 and a 1/4 gallons of mixed antifreeze. i put the antifreeze in an it filled up on like 1 and a half gallons. this is after putting the cap back on and letting the car idle and revving it to let it run through thoroughly pouring it back into the radiator over and over again. i did it over and over again making sure i put enough in. but thats not 2 and a 1/4 gallons. when i bought the car the drain **** was rigged in with a hole in it. with another bolt inside the drain **** to plug the radiator. i took out the old drain **** and put another new good one it. but the only drain **** that fit was a ford/Lincoln drain ****. is it possible they rigged in a ford/lincoln radiator? If not, is it okay to just have 1 and half gallons of anti-freeze since no more will go in? NOW, for the reservoir question..... the fluid stays sealed inside when it goes through the radiator but when i was finished and put it in the reservoir it leaks from under the reservoir. do u think it is cracked and i need a new reservoir? if it is... how can i replace it? like can u give me steps please. the fluid in the radiator stays in

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
You may not have drained the block water jacket by removing the block drain plugs just up from the oil pan rail. With draining the block, the total would be 2+ gallons.

As for the radiator, a PO may have swapped in a Ford rad, but unlikely. Radiators for different auto brands are made by the same manf, and with using the KISS Principle, keeping the same drain plug throughout simplifies a lot.

If coolant leaks out of the reservoir, then it is likely broken.
Next time it is empty, unhook the hose from the radiator, unbolt it, and replace with another good one, whether a new one or used one from the salvage yard.

Might get a Haynes manual for the Camaro, comes in handy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Everett no I did not drain the block water jacket. I didnt even know it had that. Thank you, I will look tomorrow and try that. And I have a haynes manual. they do rock

1 - 3 of 3 Posts