Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new battery. I turned my camaro on after the brake job to test drive it and it started. it seemed like it made kind of a funny sound when it started but it could just be in my head. anyways the speedometer started to fluctuate at idle and the RPM's remained the same. I noticed i had the head lights unplugged since i replaced the fender and bumper. so i turned the car off and plugged in the headlights. i started the car and now it wont start it just clicks. its a brand new battery and i tested the voltage and it was fine. i got the starter removed and test it and it fine. but im wondering if a fuse was blown because all the wires going through the grommet in doors is hooked to nothing. power window wires and the speaker. its because i changed the door and im gonna put my old manual window regulator in it. could it be that some of these wires that are hooked to nothing be touching metal and linked in with the head lights and blowing a fuse not causing it to start? if not what else could it be?

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Turn on headlights.
Now start engine.
If lights dim and starter clicks, not enough power from battery - cables, needing wire brushed, or low charge on battery.
If lights don't dim, maybe another starter relay replacement.
Also, once alt is on, check charging voltage across battery posts, should be around 14.5 volts.
Could also have a drain of more than 0.1 amp when Camaro is off and draining battery.
If ign key has resistor chip, tumbler may not be reading the chip satisfying VATS allowing starter relay to energize.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your info. I put the starter back on and it didnt start but jumped the car off from my truck and it works now. It just wasnt charged all the way when i bought this new battery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts