Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first post on this forum, and I really hope you guys can help...

I have a 1999 camaro, 3.8 auto with about 115k, my trouble codes read an "engine too lean" in both cylinder banks. I have replaced the MAF, the three oxygen sensors, PCV valve, the EGR valve appears to be functioning (but I could be wrong there) and I cant find any vacuum leaks...

While idling, the engine will lope heavy and want to stall out. The first thing I am told to look for are vacuum leaks, where do I look? What are the common or uncommon places to detect a vacuum leak?

My Hayes book also says to check the intake plenum for possible leaks. My question would be, how do I check the intake and what should I be looking for? Backed out bolts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Joey

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
look at the egr valve again...sometimes a carbon ball will stick the pintle open causing a lean condition...how does it run off idle???if egr, than it will run fairly well above 2000 rpm, but like crap under...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike-

The car runs great above the 2000rpm range, as long as my foot is in the throttle is seems ok.

Another thought, I run at about 170 degrees, before the problem started, I was above that. Is this a symptom?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
my 92 Astro with the vortec 4.3 did the very same thing. it wouldn't idle and spit and sputtered..
it was throwing an egr code, so i pulled it off, and, just like kustomwerker said, it had a HUGE ball of carbon holding the valve open, causing a constant vacuum leak. i cleaned it out and put the valve back on- but didn't plug it back in- and it ran great, but with the check engine light on. i plugged it back in, and the light went out.
i haven't driven it since then, and don't know how long it might last before another chunk of carbon gets in there. i think NAPA now sells a gasket with a screen on it to keep the chunks out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts