Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot Chip

I just purchased a 1999 Camaro SS. It has an LS motor. The 99 Camaro SS is rated at 325 bhp. The 99 Corvette is rated at 350 bhp. I assume the difference is due to the programing in the engine management computer. Typically, because of Federal regulations, this is accomplished by means of a chip.

1) Is this a correct assumption?
2) If so, does anyone know if there is a chip available to increase the bhp?
3) If not, does anyone have advice, other than air breather and cams to easily increase bhp, without having to do any extensive alterations. I would like to be able to return the car to stock, without doing a lot of work if I want to.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just purchased a 1999 Camaro SS. It has an LS motor. The 99 Camaro SS is rated at 325 bhp. The 99 Corvette is rated at 350 bhp. I assume the difference is due to the programing in the engine management computer. Typically, because of Federal regulations, this is accomplished by means of a chip.

3) If not, does anyone have advice, other than air breather and cams to easily increase bhp, without having to do any extensive alterations. I would like to be able to return the car to stock, without doing a lot of work if I want to.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,443 Posts
Re: Hot Chip

although the tune may be different I thought the biggest difference was the air intake and exhaust system. Tuning helps, air intake and exhaust changes will help, cams make a pretty big difference. Any of these mods needs a good tune to optimize the gains, and the best way is to get your car to a local tuner for a custom tune, versus out of the box canned chip tunes.

Jody

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
1993 was the last year for a "chip" in a camaro. With your car you can re-program the computer to get some added HP along with a 160* thermostat. Simple to do and cost is $400 or less. I have a Hypertech power programer for my 1994.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
wait for me performance(?) does computers real cheap and exactly how you want it.

I understand the camshaft was different also

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hand held tuners are junk. Stay away from that stuff.

1. Your best modification. http://www.ls1tech.com
2. read the internal and external engine stickies at the top of each forum.

A lid is typically the first mod for an LS1 which is good for 7-15 rwhp depending on which one you get. Since yours is a 99 like mine, it came from the factory with an LS1 intake. 01-02 LS1 cars cam with an improved LS6 intake. This intake is typically good for 15-25 rwhp over a stock ls1 intake. The next thing I would do is headers and a good exhaust system. I have a true dual system on my car because I didn't really like the sound of any of the catbacks on the market. Cam swaps are best if the above mods have been performaned first. I've seen 60-80 rwhp gains from cam swaps, so they are by far one of the best modifications you can do to an LS1. If you have a 6 speed car, then you can put as big of a cam in it as you want, but with an auto you'll have to put a big converter in it to get any kind of performance out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts