Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Hi, new here. My wife has a 99 Z28 and the guys at Firestone just informed me that the oil pan plug stripped the threads in the oil pan. They say they found a heli-coil in the female threads. So, it seems who ever did the last oil change stripped it. I am not familiar with the procedure for replacing the oil pan. Does the entire front clip have to be dropped removing the eng/trans, then separate eng/trans and then remove engine from front clip, then remove oil pan. Or is there some way to remove/replace the oil pan with the eng/trans still installed? I have read some posts that mention lifting the eng while still in the vehicle, does this trick apply to a 99 Z28.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could possible do the job without dropping the entire assembly all the way out the bottom. I've done several 4th gen engine R&R's with a lift. If you have access to a lift, like at a local hobby shop or a buddy, you could unbolt the subframe bolts along with engine trans mount bolt(and various other little things) and support the engine with a hoist. You could then lower the subframe (or raise the body) just enough to give you the clearance needed to remove the pan. It's a PITA to do it that way, but If you have access to a lift I'd just drop the engine/trans assm. out and replace the pan while the engine out of the car. just my .02

·
Registered
100 Posts
most of the time all you do is unbolt the motor mounts then jack the motor up the pull the pan you might have tho lower the sub frame to get more clearance thats a big maybe

67CAMAROSS you beat me to it! I type way to slow. :eek:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Gotta love those quickie lube kind of folks. ( Not!) The same thing happened to my wife's Intrepid. Set us back somewhere in the 2-3 hundred range.
My wife has never gone anywhere else for her oil change and has one heck of a record on file with them, and they denied that it happened there.:angry:

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
:mad: Hi, new here. My wife has a 99 Z28 and the guys at Firestone just informed me that the oil pan plug stripped the threads in the oil pan. They say they found a heli-coil in the female threads.
If they managed to strip a Heli-Coil, they must have used an impact gun on the drain plug - Heli-Coil threads are stronger than the originals. They owe you a new oil pan. :mad:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Before you take the pan out, look into other drain plug options. There are double and even triple oversize plugs as well as rubber expandable ones.

·
Registered
677 Posts
that pan is all aluminium and an itegral part of the block. how are you supposed to "jack" the motor "UP" and remove the pan when the pan is where your jacking from. ypur going to need a lift if possible at all. motor removal of the ls1 is from the bottom so who knows

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
havent already bought a oil pan I have one I would sell in excellent shape off a 2000 ss camaro for 75 plus shipping. I am installing this motor in a 69 camaro and had to buy a different oil pan .I'm in missouri let me know if your interested.
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts