Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang...

I am having an issue with the high beam on my 99. When I pull the turn signal lever back to click the high beam, it wont click or engage the lights.

Is this a common malade? What are the steps to fixing this?

Thanks!

Joe

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
When you pull/push the combo switch lever, the lever pushes a rod doen the column to the actual switch.

Either one of two things has happened:
1. Switch loop for the rod broke or came unhooked
2. Lever finger pushing on the rod came unhooked or broke off

If you feel the top/side of the column after removing the dash bottom panel, you should be able to see the switch/rod on the left side of the column. With one hand on the switch/rod, the other hand on the combo lever, you will be able to determine if the combo lever is broke or the switch is broke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgive me for this... I am a rookie...

How would one replace either one of thos?

I assume you have to pull the steering wheel for that, how do you remove the airbag without destroying it or poping it?

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Switch should be able to replace from under the dash.
Combo lever replacement requires removing the steering wheel. Usually, disconnecting the battery will prevent bag from coming out.

You will have to pull out on the combo handle to loosen it from its socket. Limit the stroke as if the lever gets yanked too far, it pulls the harness with it and breaks the harness. Once the wheel is off, you will see the combo switch and everything else connected to it, the rod and the harness for the rest of the accessories it controls. Unplug it at the bottom and tie a string to it. Pull up the harness, remove the broken parts, tie the string to the new harness and pull string to guide the new harness down the column.

Attach the new assembly and test the lever for proper function. if everything works, reassemble the wheel, airbag, and be on your way. Be sure the wheel came off the same clocking when removed. There might even be a dot on both the wheel and shaft to align for assembly, otherwise, mark it yourself.

Kind of a big job for a rookie as you need a wheel puller and spring depressor to remove the locking plate retaining ring. Get a Haynes manual for the car and read up on it.

Hopefully, the switch is bad or the rod came out at the bottom of the column so you don't have to go inside the wheel.

Good luck, I know this is alot, but it is involved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts