Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find the vin number that should be stamped on the sub frame assembly
to verify it is orginal to the car.

Please no responses telling me what the chances are of finding a car with the orginal sub-frame UNLESS you know the answer to my question.

Thank You in advance!!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I've got an original sub leaning against the side of my house in the bushes. I'll take a look tomorrow. I don't think there is a VIN on it, but then again I've never looked.

Most replacement subs seem to come from pre-74 novas. The large holes in the front of the big K-member will be D shaped if the sub is a Nova, Omni, venture frame. Original Camaro subs had round openings in the large K member.

-dnult

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that clears that up. I won't spend anytime looking when I'm checking out a car.

Now

Are disc brakes specific to subframes, or can an orginal disc set up be bolted to a drum brake subframe. I'm confused when reading the descriptions of the drumn to dis conversions that are currently sold by everyone.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
320 Posts
69,Maybe you are thinking of the frame/car build date ? Mine date is located on the right frame rail on the curved part. The white stenciled date is upside down on the frame and the numerals are separated by dots, not dashes ( 6.25.68)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts