1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ok I am painting my engine compartment. I need some advice on a spray gun here are the two I have looked at and are in my price range.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200319463&R=200319463
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43430

Anyone have any experience or advice on either?

Next question, do I need to clean out my gun between laying down the 2 or 3 coats that I lay down.

Thanks for the help
I haven't used either of those guns, So I can't comment on those.

You don't have to clean the gun between coats if you are spraying the same stuff in a reasonable amount of time (basically the 'POT LIFE' of the paint).

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just remember preparation is key and you should be good to go. As my boss at work tells me (hardwood floors) "You can never be to clean my boy!"

·
Registered
426 Posts
Personally, Id pass on those 2 guns cuz for the same price or maybe a few dollars more, you can get an Astro LVLP gun and it doesnt use near the air those HVLPs will use and is most likely a far superior gun, quality-wise. I havent used those two, but I did just get an Astro and its the best gun for the dollar IMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used the harbor frieght one, but only for primer. Was not good with the base coat, ended up getting a better gun

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey Midnight68..
I bought the same gun from HFT..(on sale w/ coupon for $19).
It was a good starter gun to learn on, but the cup and the orifice were too small for most parts. (narrow spray pattern).

I ended up getting a Valspar kit from Painters Supply on Hampden & Sante Fe. (not professional grade, but it worked ok)
3 different size guns for $149..
I used a 1.7 orifice for primer and sandable sealer.
I used a 1.0 orifice for BC/CC..

I no longer need my (5) spray guns, and would be willing to sell some of them if you're interested.
I live in Littleton, but work in Lakewood, (6th & Simms)..
Send me a PM if you want to check/try them out..
Are you going to cruise Burger King on Jewel tonight? (I can meet you there around 6:30pm tonight..)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts