Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of HP can I expect to get from a 2.8 MULTIPORT FUEL INJECTION MOTOR?

(My last Camaro had a 305 in it, and that was plenty of power.)

I don't know the specs on the rear-end. This is an '87 Camaro.
Is this too little of an engine for this car? I don't want to race it, but I want to be able to put my foot in it when necessary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That motor is tuned for MPG not performance.As produced from the factory that combo is a sluggish performer and if your used to the 305 V8 you won't be impressed.You will get good MPG so it should be a good go-fer car just don't expect 16 sec quarters.:D

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The '87 2.8 is a Gen II 60deg V-6, not a bad starting point for some performance mods. This redesign of the original 2.8 block had bigger bearings along with other changes to improve their strength and output potential.
They respond quite well to most the common upgrades such as exhaust, cam and induction changes.

An easy change often made to them is to "stroke" them to the later '90~92's Camaro 3.1 displacement. This requires some major interior part replacement, so a swap to a newer engine from a wrecking yard donor is often the route many take to do this.
The displacement went to 3.4 in the '93 Camaro - these pushrod type 3.4's are available in the wrecking yards also - but, get the whole drivetrain and ECM from the donor as lots of systems and controls changed in them.

GM also offers a near bolt in replacement 3.4 for these applications. It can effect the 'smog'-ablity of these cars, so be carefull if you need to keep yours in compliance.

These engines are quite popular with the Jeep and Off-Raod guys. They do lots of mod.s to get added performance out of them.
Check with some of the aftermarket suppliers like Edelbrock and Holley for common upgrade parts like intakes, carbs, replacement injection systems & etc.
There are several companies that specialize in these engines like A.R.I. ( http://www.engine-parts.com/index.html ) Angelfire ( http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/stalkerv6/drive.html ) and a few others - do a 'google' search for "2.8 performance" to find them.

Here is a link to a 60deg. V-6 forum group - http://60degreev6.com/?gclid=COmi4-vP9IoCFQ8aYQodQQyBoQ

They can be pretty good little Torque producers (over 200 with common mods) this really improves their street response. The HP numbers are also fairly easy to get into the low 200's with common mods. I've seen a dyno sheet with cam, head mods, 4bbl intake and headers get into the low 300's - not bad for this liitle engine...
They also rev. quite reliably with some mods to them.
I've built a few that performed real well, gave a few people with smaller SB's a surprise :D

Hope this helps;
John

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
That's good info John.

Yeah, I worked on them at a Pontiac dealer when they first came out in 1985.

In the little Fiero they were quite peppy with the 5-speed. They made about 160 hp on a good day. The truth is I made a career out of replacing them because they had a habit of kicking rods out.

The replacement 3.4 is much better though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all of the info.
I guess I'll keep looking around, til I find another V-8.

Thanks again.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Go to a decent GM Dealer and see if the latest copy of Chevy Power doesn't still have a chapter in it on this little engine?

My two mid '80's copies do and it is good info on how to hop them up.

pdq67

1 - 7 of 7 Posts