Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I swapped out a small block for a big block in my '69. Now, the accelerator cable is about 2 inches short to connect to my Holley. Can I add a couple inches or is it easier to get a longer accelerator cable? I'd rather pursue the add on idea first because it's cheapest. I'm wondering if I can snip the cable at the accelerator pedal and then get some wire about the same thickness from Loews or Home Depot and fasten it on somehow. That's what I don't know - how to fasten on the two pieces of wire to hold up to throttle mashes!

Anyone have any ideas? TIA - Jon

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you ever driven a car that had the gas pedal stuck. If not, I'm here to tell you it's no picnic! I would put the correct parts on just for the peace of mind. Rigging gas pedal linkage and brake parts are dangerous!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Lokar makes a universal cable kit.....I have used these in the past and was very happy with the quality/results.....

Make it right!.....Like said above....stuck at wide open throttle requires some quick thinking/reacting(if Your lucky) and just takes the fun right out of the game....

·
Registered
228 Posts
?cable ? camaro's have a throtlle rod ?

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
6 cylinder cars(and cross ram 302's) have a cable, all others have a rod, although there are several rod configurations for different engines. If you have a 6 cylinder cable, get one that is the right length and attach it to the carb the right way. If you have a rod and are just calling it a cable get the right one for a big block. Those old drum brakes won't be able to stop a big block back with a stuck throttle.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 03-18-2002).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was an original 6 cylinder car...I'll check out the Lokkar setup. Sounds like exactly what I need. I suppose Summit carries their line?

thanks for your help

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Winch you also have to change the gas petal. And yes the dealer had to change it all for it to work

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Another trivial tidbit..... Camaro Untold Secrets shows a trick for the crossram setup that involves sectioning out 1" of the lever on the pedal assy to get a quicker throttle response....

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey rjrock, i want a cable also, does the nova cable and accelerator set up work good??? or should i just go with the lockar kit??? thanks alot
Jake

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NealM:
Why do you guys want a cable? The rod is far superiour to a cable. You won't find cables on any race cars either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why do all the new cars have cables?

The twisting motion of the engine under acceleration changes throttle position (slightly) with a rod. Break a motor mount and you could really be in for a ride. IMO cables are safer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts