1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in to buying this cover :

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-4242&autoview=sku

But not sure what this mean,
Summit notes: "Stamped aluminum .090 in. thick. Only a nylon cam button may be used. May require extra gasket thickness or spacer for a short water pump to clear"

Im using long w/p so thats o.k. But the nylon cam botton? I dont know if I have one and if I dont does it matter?

Any help would be great. Brad

·
Registered
630 Posts
Don't have any experience with that particular cover but if you are using a long pump you should have no problems. Short style pumps fit very close up to the timing cover. With this Edlebrock unit it looks like you have an extra gasket plus the thickness of the second plate that has the oil pan sealing lip on it. You would only need the nylon cam button if you are running a roller can otherwise it is not needed. Anything other than the nylon button will wear thru the aluminum.

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All solid here thanks for the info. I think Im going to order it to go with my new pan.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point on the gasket. Im not really one for name brand it doesnt really matter IF the products are equal. I have a 23.00 crome one thats giving me a bad time so Im assuming a 75.00 will be better?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bpos I thought i was the only one with this problem finding a gasket?Made the second one out of gasket paper from there on RTV too.I hav the long water pump.No leaks with this one so far.Could not find a replacement gasket even called the company.No luck!

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Bpos I thought i was the only one with this problem finding a gasket?Made the second one out of gasket paper from there on RTV too.I hav the long water pump.No leaks with this one so far.Could not find a replacement gasket even called the company.No luck!

Ditto! I think I finally found the gasket "set" which included both gaskets and the balancer seal for over $20 - about a third of the price of a new cover. I think you could make the Mr. Gasket gasket for their 2 piece work, but I just gooped it and it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ya I wanted to go to the Mr. Gasket version of the 2 piece for price but I run a 8in balancer and its a no app. I going with a Milodon stock replacement oil pan and pick up.
I was just checking out Summit and are you guys saying it doesnt come with the correct gasket? Do they even make one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts