Team Camaro Tech banner
161 - 180 of 187 Posts

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Brief distraction before the cold blast arrives tomorrow - squealers on the rear brakes were making noise while Stephen was doing driving practice in his soon to be hand me down car, and he asked if he could do the brakes. Sure! While he was in there, he checked the front and found it needed pads, checked oil and added a quart, checked the air filter and decided it needed replaced too (I agreed). So now he's parts shopping - staring with Rock Auto. Will see if he can do the front pads without any guidance from Dad when the parts come in. Got a wrench in the making I think!

In the meantime back to work on hoses for oil tomorrow and get the fuel tank in this weekend hopefully.

Hood Fender Wood Mechanic Vehicle door

· Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I totally agree; Wrench in the making! Only risk is that girls might become a higher priority soon enough :love:.
Brett.....

• Haha
Reactions: dhutton and srode

· Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Steve, I'm sure that means they have a rather Hot Mom?! I know that is one H*ll of a Hot car you'all are working on.
Brett 🚀🚀🚀

• Haha
Reactions: srode

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Stephen finished up his maintenance last night with front brakes and air filter. Not everything went as planned, the brake caliper mounts had to be replaced on both sides because the lower sliders were frozen but it was a good opportunity to learn more than he would have otherwise.

I'll stay on topic better now!
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread

· Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,369 Posts
Stephen finished up his maintenance last night with front brakes and air filter. Not everything went as planned, the brake caliper mounts had to be replaced on both sides because the lower sliders were frozen but it was a good opportunity to learn more than he would have otherwise.

I'll stay on topic better now!
View attachment 298313
I’d have to say it was for the best, as you pointed out.
It would be great to live in a world where we all hooked, the rear never drifted, and a step out high side just can’t happen.
Im thankful your young men are getting guidance….
and not just told to get the manual! Figure it out for yourself! Quit tearing stuff up!
I guess you can tell I grew up thinking my first name was Damnit 😁
Great stuff Steve👍

· Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hello?! Merry Christmas! How are things going with you & the boys & my favorite Car/Engine Project? Everything okay in your neck of the woods?
Here are some pics of your replacement for when we swap engines, ;):ROFLMAO::oops:
Brett 🚀🚀🚀
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive tire

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
Merry Christmas!!!

Man, that looks like a beast Brett! Is that going in yours or already in it?

Not much progress here, distracted with travel over Thanksgiving, then car shopping for my better half. Now we have too many cars in the driveway so the luxury of an open bay next to the project is gone when she's home. I did manage to get a PS inner fender that was a minor detour so I can cut the front off to join with the oversized fiberglass inner fender for that side.

Ben and I did lift the fuel tank up onto the sliding jack plate on the lift last night (I unplugged the garage door opener so my wife couldn't get in!) Not pretty with all the blue tape, but it's not getting scratched up anyway. The wires will get placed in a protective sleeve but not any point in doing it now because its coming back before it goes to paint, I'll dress things up then. Seems like these tank straps a a bit too long, even tightened all the way down they don't pull up snug to the tank all the way around, need to call Ricks Tanks and see what their thoughts are.

Now to figure out how best to run wires to it for the pumps and the get to the Vaporworx controller. Got some adhesive to establish a mount for the fuel line block to the tank, either an elevator bolt or Weldmount stainless stud

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Gesture Bumper Pliers Electrical wiring

Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Material property Paint

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Seems silly to have to cut up a new part for a small portion of it but that's what went on this morning in the garage. (Stephen was the assistant for the spot weld drilling) Needed just the front to work with the Speedtech wide tire inner fender. The other side will get a 6 5/8 hole cut in it for the oil tank, going to use this old one as a test for that cut to make sure I can do a decent job with it before doing a new one. Using a hole saw on this is going to be an adventure.
Bag Personal protective equipment Bicycle part Luggage and bags Auto part

Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering

· Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,499 Posts
A ton of very nice quality high performance parts here!

Steve tell me when/how/if you plan to paint your chassis/body parts that look unpainted right now?
It looks like you are building it for good not for test... I believe you are not going to dismantle everythin to paint the chassis right?

· Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,499 Posts
Hello?! Merry Christmas! How are things going with you & the boys & my favorite Car/Engine Project? Everything okay in your neck of the woods?
Here are some pics of your replacement for when we swap engines, ;):ROFLMAO::oops:
Brett 🚀🚀🚀
View attachment 299604

View attachment 299605
Brett that is beautifull!!! What an engine!
I am not enough up to date to understand what is the purpose to have individual ignition coils, 1 per each plug?
What is the fuel injection set up chosen?
Isn't it the same you are taking over from your 396?

Sorry Steve to ask these question in your post.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
A ton of very nice quality high performance parts here!

Steve tell me when/how/if you plan to paint your chassis/body parts that look unpainted right now?
It looks like you are building it for good not for test... I believe you are not going to dismantle everythin to paint the chassis right?
Well, actually I am just assembling the parts for test now to figure out where everything goes and to modify things as needed so I have minimal cutting and drilling when it's painted. It will get completely torn down for paint then reassembled for finish. I'll fire the engine to make sure everything works and no leaks before tear down for the paint shop.

· Registered
5,433 Posts
I stopped by Steves house last week to check out his car. TONS of fitment work to figure out on this build. It's going to be a heck of a car when finished, but it isn't going to be without challenges. Persistence pays off, though.

· Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Merry Christmas!!!

Man, that looks like a beast Brett! Is that going in yours or already in it?
Brett that is beautifull!!! What an engine!
I am not enough up to date to understand what is the purpose to have individual ignition coils, 1 per each plug?
What is the fuel injection set up chosen?
Isn't it the same you are taking over from your 396?

Sorry Steve to ask these question in your post.
Steve, Marc; Hi - Thanks! It is a 454. I purchased the block new from GM Performance. New Hybrid Block combines Gen V, Gen VI & Mark IV features, 4-Bolt Mains. Cost $1800! I thought that was a great deal. My engine that was in my car when I bought it was rebuilt by PO, but it was not a good job. It had the wrong cam in it (Post 1966 when the block was a 1966 - No oiling groove in back journal) & there is no (or very little) oil getting up top, so I decided to build one. Marc; The option I chose is called "Coil Near Plug", which uses a Crank sensor and Cam sensor. There is no distributor - just a Cam plug, which is the Cam sensor. Since I am using a Holley HP ECU, all of these features can be adjusted with the ECU. I think Steve's engine is similar, with no distributor & individual coils. The EFI is MPFI, where there is an injector for each cylinder, whereas the injectors in a Throttle Body there are only four injectors. I am getting closer to firing it on my run stand. After I fire, tune and run it for a little bit, then I will perform the swap. My 396 is still running in the Camaro, I actually have two ECU's so I can set up the 454 while the 396 is still functional.
I promise, no more Hijacking, haha.
Brett....

• Haha
Reactions: srode

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Steve, Marc; Hi - Thanks! It is a 454. I purchased the block new from GM Performance. New Hybrid Block combines Gen V, Gen VI & Mark IV features, 4-Bolt Mains. Cost $1800! I thought that was a great deal. My engine that was in my car when I bought it was rebuilt by PO, but it was not a good job. It had the wrong cam in it (Post 1966 when the block was a 1966 - No oiling groove in back journal) & there is no (or very little) oil getting up top, so I decided to build one. Marc; The option I chose is called "Coil Near Plug", which uses a Crank sensor and Cam sensor. There is no distributor - just a Cam plug, which is the Cam sensor. Since I am using a Holley HP ECU, all of these features can be adjusted with the ECU. I think Steve's engine is similar, with no distributor & individual coils. The EFI is MPFI, where there is an injector for each cylinder, whereas the injectors in a Throttle Body there are only four injectors. I am getting closer to firing it on my run stand. After I fire, tune and run it for a little bit, then I will perform the swap. My 396 is still running in the Camaro, I actually have two ECU's so I can set up the 454 while the 396 is still functional.
I promise, no more Hijacking, haha.
Brett....
nice!!!

161 - 180 of 187 Posts