Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 2002 35th Anniv. Camaro and is adding additional interior lights. He tied them into the existing lamps but it screwed up the body control module (maybe).
So, if there are any electronic engineers out there, what electronics would be required to have the new lamps not dim and then shut off but instead turn off when the existing lamps reach a certain voltage or brightness?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
What are these additional interior lights for and how does the owner want them switched ?.
I have seen on some of the late model cars a newer style dimmer circuit for the instrument panel lights. Now don't take this as gospel but from what the service tech at work told me the new systems pulse the voltage on and off to make the lights brighter or dimmer. If the voltage is switched on and off let's say 20 times per second the light is dim. If it is switched on and off 50 times per second the light is brighter. I would think that adding more lights to this circuit would increase the amperage needed from the factory module and could cause damage. The one I had come in to troubleshoot and have the service man repair only required some kind of transistor to fix. How to add more lights to this circuit (dash dimmer module) is more than what I know but if the added lights are for interior illumination to where you want them on when the door is opened and off when the door is closed you should just be able to tie into the existing door switch circuit, possibly have to add a diode, and may have to add a relay.
Hope this helps some.
You may also try a search about self dimming lighting circuits as it seems to me I've come across them before in some of the electrical web sites.
Jim

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It is for additional interior lighting. He tapped into the existing and that is what he thinks caused the issue with the BCM. He mentoned using a relay and that it chattered really bad so that would go along with what you said about pulsing. He would probably have to use a capacitor as well to smooth out the pulsing to prevent the relay chatter.
I'll try and direct him over to this site so that he can ask and answer directly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts